"SILVERTIP" Ammo

Started by buckshot roberts, June 24, 2008, 06:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckshot roberts

:) Anybody use any brand of SILVERTIP ammo for hunting..........Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

rockinbbar

Use the 95 gr in my .243...

It's a tough, sure killer. I like them.
Also use them in my .338 winmag...same thing there, only more so...:)
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Hunterbug

I've got an old box of 150gr 30-06 SilverTips that I got from Mountain Mafia that I haven't used yet and I've also got 60 .308" bullets to load. Maby next year I'll load them for my 30-06 to go for deer.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Brithunter

Hi There,

I do have some 30-30 Winchester 150 grain Silver Tip but have not shot any beasts with it as I didn't think the accuracy was up to hunting much over about 75 yards. However the last time I tried at out at the range it shot better than ever before so I might try to get another box or two and see how it goes.
Go Get them Floyd!

gitano

I don't have any 'ammo', and I haven't looked specifically for Silvertip bullets in so long I can't remember, but... I did buy a box of old .348 Win ammo for the cases, to make .50 Alaskan cases from. I pulled those bullets and still have them around. (I can't throw anything away. :)) While I've never killed anyting with Silvertip bullets, I can't say I've ever heard anything bad said about them.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

What Paul said. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

RatherBHuntin

Quote from: rockinbbar;80145Use the 95 gr in my .243...

It's a tough, sure killer. I like them.

Ditto
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Hunterbug

I haven't used these yet but maby I will for a deer this year or next.

Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

Niccolo Machiavelli

buckshot roberts

I was looking to try this new 30/30 ammo that winchester has out now for the ol' model 94......... Ron

Winchester .30-30
Ballistic Silvertip Load

Winchester Ammunition has introduced a new .30-30 Winchester 150-grain Ballistic Silvertip load in its Supreme line of the rifle ammunition. The bullet was co-developed with Nosler and sets new standards for performance in this historic cartridge. Like other Ballistic Silvertip bullets, the new .30-30 150-grain bullet has a silver polymer tip and Winchester's patented Lubalox coating. The blunt bullet nose is designed for use in tube feed magazine guns like the Winchester Model 94. The new load has a muzzle velocity of 2,390 feet per second and muzzle energy of 1,902 ft/lbs. The bullet was designed with white-tailed deer in mind and will expand at a wide range of velocities, delivering the knockdown and penetration needed to reach the vitals of deer or other medium-sized big game. Visit www.winchester.com.

New Load For An Old Favorite
If you shoot a .30-30, you're going to like the new Winchester Supreme 150-grain Ballistic Silvertip offering.
By Payton Miller

I've been shooting a .30-30 for years, and I've pretty much stuck with the traditional 170-grain jacketed RN loading. I figured since the old .30 WCF wasn't noted for blinding speed, I may as well throw as heavy a bullet as possible.

But that was then. I recently had the opportunity to try out the new Winchester Supreme 150-grain Ballistic Silvertip load on game and paper, and I'm seriously rethinking things. As you're probably aware, the BST bullet has garnered a lot of positive press, but until now it's generally been in conjunction with the .270, .30-06 and assorted WSM calibers.

But the BST works extremely well at .30-30 velocities--in this case 2,390 fps.

On a recent Axis deer, blackbuck and hog hunt in Texas, it pretty much ironed out everything it came in contact with when fired from an assortment of Marlin lever-action carbines and rifles.

Preliminary zeroing sessions produced several 100-yard groups in the one- to 11?2-inch range.

Recoil, as expected, was minimal and the noise signature delightfully low. It's being touted as a whitetail round, as well it should. Although we weren't after whitetail, several 200-pound-plus Axis deer--not to mention blackbuck and hogs--were taken at ranges from 50 to 200 yards (yes, the Marlins were topped with Sightron scopes).

Nope, this one's not going to push the .30-30 into a super long-range proposition, but if you want a load that's mild, accurate and efficient, the 150-grain BST number will give you all you're going to get out of America's favorite oldie.
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

gitano

Of interest to me is the performance at 200 yds, on game, when it starts out at only 2390 f/s. What the means to me is that it is considerably below 2000 f/s at 200. What that means is that terminal performance is still sufficient at impact velocities below 2000 f/s. My new personal standard of 2000 ft-lbs at 300 yds and a total vertical deflection of 12 inches or less had me thinking about terminal performance when those big bullets droped below 2000 f/s impact velocities. Since the author above probably wasn't thinking about that matrix of performance criteria, there is small chance he 'spun' the results.

Does anybody know of Silvertips (NOT Ballistic SilverTips), for sale as reloading components?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

Paul, I've seen them at gun shows and Reloaders Corner has had them in the past but I can't speak for now. The one's I've seen are 150 and 180gr .308" and 130gr .277". I have 60 .308" 150gr.

Did anyone else notice how young Ron looks in that picture?:greentongue:

Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

HB,
Where is Reloader's Corner getting them? Winchester? Some .338s, .358's, or .375s would interest me.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

buckshot roberts

Ain't me.....but it could be the spit'n image of 12,ga:eek: .....I did get me a box them winchester silvertip's for my old 94 today give  me 'bout two weeks........to get to the range........they also have it in the .300 savage... Ron

Hunterbug

Paul, I don't know where he's getting them or what he's got in stock but I'll give him a call and find out.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Steve D

When I was looking for (rare) 358 Win ammo some years ago, I came across a box with 200 gr round nose Silvertips.  The deer I shot with them at about 80 yards went all of 2 feet.  Straight down.  "Course, that usually happens with a neck shot.  It either stops dead, of goes off about 100 miles through the thickest brush there is, but I digress.  It was accurate and effective.  (Of note:  I didn't choose the neck shot.  That's all that was offered to me, unless I thought I could shoot through a tree.)  If I had a supply, I would not hesitate to use them, but it's pretty much strictly reloading for them, now.
You\'re just jealous because the voices only talk to me.  :yes:

Tags: