Wildcat Cartridge Series - 338-06 AI

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), December 20, 2004, 06:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

Looks to be a pretty good cartridge for a 'poor man's magnum'.

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

QuoteLooks to be a pretty good cartridge for a poor man's magnum
If you are desireous of a good Akley Improved cartridge in a larger caliber this would be an excellent choice.

It does not fit, however, my criteria for AI cartridges so it will not be one to go in my gun cabinet.  The standard 338-06 would be my choice over the AI version.

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

NUMBERFARMER

I am curious, what are your criteria for an AI cartridge.  I don't know much about the AI cartridges, but I always thought this one might be a good candidate.

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: NUMBERFARMERI am curious, what are your criteria for an AI cartridge. I don't know much about the AI cartridges, but I always thought this one might be a good candidate.
My criteria might be just a bit different......The benefit of an AI is more than just velocity. It is also case longevity. For my personal weapons and shooting if I see that I could possibly shoot more than 100 rounds a year then that particular cartridge is an AI candidate.

For example, lets take the varmint/deer/antelope rifle that is nearing completion. Usage will probably be 80/15/5 (80% varmint,15% deer,etc). If I get my way I will be shooting more than 100 rounds a year. The AI version of the 6.5/08(260 Rem) produces a very modest increase in velocity...perhaps 150fps with the 85 to 100 grain bullets. But case life increases dramatically..........just me trying to be cost effective (cheap!).

Ol' John

PS..The 338-06 AI is a good respectable cartridge...Don't let me being "cheap" disuade you!
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Left-Hand Creek Rifles

RumRunner

"Ol' John"....I think your comments are right on.

I have quite often had an "internal" debate on the regular 338-06 vs the older .35 Whelen. In a moment of weakness I gave in to the .35 Whelen, not that I regret the decision, but just what would a man do with two cartridges so similar?
I'm sure there's justification somewhere...perhaps if, and that's a mighty big if, "if" I were now to go to the AI version it might make more sense...or does it?
The 338-06 is a mighty fine cartridge, a poor man's magnum in spades if there was ever one. The 338-06AI should just be that much more of a "gooder" thang IMHO. Anyone care to help me talk me into this?

Shucks, I just dunno......but I do like it.
As a matter of fact, I've met darn few cartridges I didn't like, just some more than others. :rolleyes: I'm sure most of you understand this, and have learned to deal with it.
Walk softly and carry a big ol\' Smoothbore!

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

RR,

QuoteI'm sure there's justification somewhere
You bet.........."JUST CAUSE I WANT ONE!" ... Best justification there is!

My "descretionary" funds are not that many dollars! When I sent the Rem 721 off to be re-bored and re-chambered I had the choice of 338-06 or 35 Whelen.
Since Paul and I designed together the 338x57 MAI and it was my first foray into a caliber above .30 I had .338 bullets on hand and 30-06 brass is cheap and readily available, I determined that it was cost-effective for me to go the 338-06 route and not the .35 Whelen. When I get the 721 back there is a nice piece of walnut just waiting to be fitted/finished. This gives me a rifle that I will hunt with, a show piece for me to display and good advertising for Dan Pederson who is doing the rebore/rechamber. It is a WIN-WIN-WIN situation to my way of thinking. I got lucky and obtained this particular Rem 721 at a bargain-basement price which included a steel Weaver K-3 in 99% condition off one of the gun auctions on the internet.

I certainly appreciate your positive remarks and I thank you for same!

Ol' John..:D
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Left-Hand Creek Rifles

NUMBERFARMER

Now I understand your thinking HondoJohn. I have many times been tempted to rechamber my Ruger #1 in 22 hornet to the K hornet for that very same reason.  I think all of my reloading problems would disappear.  However, everyone tells me that I would have to reblue the barrel due to the marks from the lathe so that would add to the cost.  I guess I will just keep the hornet.  Thanks for the clarification, I appreciate your response.

RumRunner

Hondo John...I do like your insight on all the reasons a person should get another rifle.

You mentioned...... "Since Paul and I designed together the 338x57 MAI and it was my first foray into a caliber above .30 I had .338 bullets on hand and 30-06 brass is cheap and readily available.............".

Perhaps you could elaborate just a bit on this cartridge. You may want to start a new string, (I'm not sure of protocol on the forum) I hear of several shooters here in the Northwest that have found favor with the 338-08, and I suspect the 57 case would be a dandy too....but I'm only guessing.

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

RR,

The 338/08 is a VG cartridge for the short action Rem's and others. Paul & I wanted something that would do well in the medium length actions like the Mauser 98. You can do, and many have, chamber a 98 for the 63mm cartridges like the 338-06 AI but you limit yourself in OAL that will feed thru this medium length action, IOW longer/heavier bullets have to be seated into the powder area reducing powder capacity. It will work but I much prefer to use long actions for long cartridges to gain any advantage as to the OAL. I have an '03 Springfield action currently chambered for the .257 "Bob" Ackley (bad move on my part, live & learn) and someday it will be rebarreled to a 6.5/06 Ackley with a 28" straight taper varmint/competition contour barrel(its on the 'to-do' list).

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Left-Hand Creek Rifles

RumRunner

John, that all makes good sense to me. When you say "VG cartridge for the short action Rem's and others", are you refereing to a "true" short action of .308 size, or short being other than magnum?
What is your trim to length on the cartridge case? What is the water capacity of the case?...........Geez, ain't I nosey? Actually, just interested. It is more one of those, "why didn't I think of that" deals. :confused:

RumRunner

Ol' John...Disregard that last transmission....Ol' Dummy found what he was looking for.

INTERESTING!

periscope_depth

Well....I have never owned the 338-06 but used to own a 35 Whelen.

I sold that rifle about 8 years ago....and I regret it to this day.  

But one thing the 35 Whelen had going for it (if you are a handloader) that the 338 or even the -06 did NOT have was the ability to shoot pistol bullets.

I have to tell you that the 158 grain hollow point is the most kick-butt little bullet you can send screaming down range.  Designed to expand at 1000-1400 fps....it turns into a bomb at 3000 fps.

What it will do to a coyote will make your jaw drop.

Picture the way a prairie dog looks after being hit with a 22-250.  

Accuracy is really marginal as the "little" bullet is really spinning....but its fun to plink around with.

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: periscope_depthWell....

I have to tell you that the 158 grain hollow point is the most kick-butt little bullet you can send screaming down range. Designed to expand at 1000-1400 fps....it turns into a bomb at 3000 fps.

What it will do to a coyote will make your jaw drop.

Picture the way a prairie dog looks after being hit with a 22-250.

Accuracy is really marginal as the "little" bullet is really spinning....but its fun to plink around with.

Interesting that you should post the pistol bullet possibilities. One of the fellows that frequents my shop will be here next week and has promised to bring his custom .358 Winchester that he had Charlie Sisk of Sisk Rifles build. He loads the 158 grainer for hogs, coyotes..ad infinitum. I plan to post some pics of the rifle and pertinent info as to twist, velocities and so on.

Ol' John...:cool:
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Left-Hand Creek Rifles

gitano

Periscope, glad to see someone else interested in "using what's available". I load pistol bullets in several rifle cases I own., and I'm perfectly happy with their performance both precison-wise and terminal performance-wise. I've got some new ones to try in my 8x56R Steyr.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: