"there's a new lever in town"

Started by buckshot roberts, June 09, 2008, 10:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckshot roberts

:eek: well with old winchester closed up....... someone was bound to come up with a new lever........ look's just like a model 94.......... it's a Mossburg model 464, I saw one today an at first took it to be a winchester, not a bad looking lever.... in 30/30 I was told it's also in the .22 and .410 shotshell........ Ron
http://www.mossberg.com/

We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Paul Hoskins

Ron, I haven't been to a gunshop for some time now and haven't seen any advertizing on this one yet. The one you pictured looks pretty good except for the crack in the fore end from one end to the other. Wonder if they all look like that???   ..............Paul H

Jorge in Oz

Nice lever Ron. Paul it looks more like a scratch, but I like the look of them.

They probably won't cost as much as the second hand Winny 94's going around here in Oz. AU$450 to $650 for secondhand good ones and $750+ for new old stock. $800 to $1,200 for the hundreds of commemorative ones there are around.

I wonder whether they'll make them with 24 inch barrels?
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

buckshot roberts

The one I saw was going for just a little over $300. :biggthumpup: that's not a crack, .........Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

davidlt89

I was not aware of this either, thanks for posting Ron. Fine looking rifle, I do like mossberg!!! seems to be a great price also. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

LvrLover

Handled one. Didn't seem to balance right or something. It felt funny somehow. Maybe a tad too heavy? I also hate tang safeties on hammer guns. Other than that, knowing Mossberg, its probably a good gun at a good price.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

kombi1976

It was just a matter of time before someone tried to replace the Win '94.
Mind you the purists will rubbish it even if it turns out to be astounding.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Jorge in Oz

Winchester manufacturers made the mistake of stopping production of the M70 and the Win 94, and look what has happened, they have now resurrected the M70 maybe they may bring back another lever action. Somehow it may be a slim possibility as Marlin have that market cornered and now Mossberg is having a crack at it.
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

kombi1976

Resurrected the Model 70?
Where are FN having it built?
But I sincerely doubt they could build a '94 for the price Mossberg is selling the Model 464.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Jorge in Oz

Quote from: kombi1976;79782Resurrected the Model 70?
Where are FN having it built?
But I sincerely doubt they could build a '94 for the price Mossberg is selling the Model 464.

Check out these links.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/article/Shooting/The-Model-70-Is-Back!  

http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/catalog/category.asp?cat=001C

I believe they are being built in Columbia, South Carolina, a factory that makes machine guns and sniper rifles for the military.

Comparing the Mossberg Model 464 to the Win 94 is like comparing the Norinco 22lr lever action to the win94/22 or the Browning 22lr lever action, different kettle of fish therefore the price differential.

kombi1976

But the price differential is entirely the point.
That's why USRAC went out of business.
They couldn't compete with Savage and Remington's SPS line and the Weatherby Vanguard range, etc.
As far as recent manufacture '94s go I've heard a lot of fluctuations in quality control.
Could just be rumour but if Mossberg gets it right with the 464 the cheap price will be the bonus.
Why have Rossi done so well with the Puma range of lever guns?
Because they're dependable.
I don't know anyone who owns a Puma that is disappointed; rather the opposite.
Maybe they weren't expecting much out of a cheap lever gun......who can tell?
What would be REALLY cool was if Mossberg built a rifle capable of the big bore cartridges like 348 Win, 375 Win, 38-55, 40-65 WCF and 45-70.
Cheers & God Bless

gitano

QuoteWhat would be REALLY cool was if Mossberg built a rifle capable of the big bore cartridges like 348 Win, 375 Win, 38-55, 40-65 WCF and 45-70.

Now there ya go! You just forgot a 50.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

kombi1976

Sorry, Paul.
Can you forgive me this great error?
Will 50-90 suffice?
And I wouldn't really care who made it.......Rossi/Puma or Mossberg.
And talking off new levers, I think it's about time someone made an affordable copy of the Win 1895 in classic rounds like 30-40 Krag, 303 Brit, 30-06, 7x57 and 7.62x54R.
If IAC can bring out those Winchester 12g lever guns copies surely the '95 is not that more hassle.
It shouldn't have the problems the old ones had either.
Modern steels and CNC machining would help alot.
Cheers & God Bless

Jorge in Oz

Hey Kombi,

I hear ya mate, but in the end we'll get foohbah Down Under anyway because the Mossberg Lever is not going to cost US$300 here in Oz.:Banghead:

It will be a $500 to $650 proposition and for that I would still buy a Win 94 in good nick or pay a bit more and get a Marlin.

Maybe if they bring it out in other calibers it may be more attractive to me.

22hornet

Jorge you are dead right about the price, nothing comes cheap over here. And for $650 you can buy a Marlin in good condition. But hopefully the Mossberg will fill a gap in lever guns created when the M94 went out, but they I think that they will only get their market share if they can price BELOW the cost of a 2nd hand Marlin!

kombi, if IAC brought out a Model 95 in 348 Win I would have my money in hand standing in line ready to buy one.:jumpingsmiley:
IAC have done a fantastic job with their 12 ga lever gun and there is no reason why another "copy" should be any different.

But remember its not only the price that hurts us Aussies, we seem to only get the most basic of calibres sent out our way.:sleeping:

I used a Puma in 357Mag at the range last month, 16inch barrel, stainless, it was sweet and smooth:biggthumpup:
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

Tags: