The Model 54 Winchester

Started by sakorick, May 27, 2008, 03:06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

For all you young guys, up until 1925 The US, other than war surplus rifles,  was a lever action country. Then along came the Model 54 Winchester available in 10 calibers including the new 270 and 220 Swift. All in all, around 50,000 rifles were made for eleven years when it was replaced by the Mod 70. Many including myself consider the Mod 54 the finest bolt action rifle Winchester ever made. Sometime back I had a chance to trade one of my sporterized Mausers for one.....a 1927 ser number 8168. I'm pretty sure it was refinished at one time but the guy did a terrific job and left the original checkering. My rifle is chambered in 30 Gov't '06. Take a peek at an American classic. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

buckshot roberts

:biggthumpup: Congrats" Rick ya done good, they are getting hard to find these day's, 'bout as hard as a model 30 Remington, enjoy ..Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

RatherBHuntin

Beautiful rifle Rick.  That 30 Gov't 06 mark is really cool.  Is there much difference between the Model 54 and the pre 64 Model 70s?  Did you have to do anything to it or is that the condition you got it in?
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Brithunter

Yes I like that :biggthumpup:  very nice rifle indeed. Errr how about a full length photo?

Please :)

Even Pretty please :greentongue:
Go Get them Floyd!

sakorick

Quote from: RatherBHuntin;79241Beautiful rifle Rick. That 30 Gov't 06 mark is really cool. Is there much difference between the Model 54 and the pre 64 Model 70s? Did you have to do anything to it or is that the condition you got it in?

Hello RBH. I haven't done anything to the rifle but fondle it! I talked to the curator at Cody about it. The red pad was an option in the cataloge as was the scope mount holes in the top of the receiver. The rear side holes on the left side was standard factory for the Lyman peep sight. My rear sight is labled "D.W. King Pat. Mar 5, 07". I assume that's the correct sight.....I'll call Cody to check.

The difference between the Mod 54 and Mod 70 is significant. Different stock, checkering, trigger, action, bolt and safety. Winchester "un-Mausered" the Mod 70. Others like old John may know the rational. Probably they cost too much to manufacture. The trigger is unique in that it is basically a military 2 stage trigger that breaks like nothing else I have ever felt. Early scopes were long and skinny so The rear side mount was married with the screw holes where the rear hard sight screws on to the barrel ...a total space of around 10 inches. Improvements in optics may have led Winchester down the Mod 70 path. Regards, Rick.

sakorick

Here you go BH. Regards, Rick.

Brithunter

OK thank you.

I now like it even more :Banghead: . Just something about the style of these old rifles  :confused: .
Go Get them Floyd!

sakorick

BH, you have impeccable taste. The classic lines topped off with 24 lines/inch checkering and a schnabel forend. Did you notice the plum color of the action......I was told this was caused by the nickle steel also found extensively in the old Sakos. Glad you like her and regards, Rick.

Brithunter

Hi Rick,

Yep I noticed the Plum colouration :)  but I don't know what causes it however BSA's often turn this colour ( my Super Sport Five has done this) and the magazine on my 1893 Steyr also has this on the magazine. The classic liens are wonderful and the styling reminds me of the much earlier M93 DWM Mauser I have. Of course Rigby's had their own style as did H&H. I am not so keen on the H&H styling.
Go Get them Floyd!

buckshot roberts

:) Rick' you can look up your 54's year of  manufacture here, http://armscollectors.com/sn/windates.htm    ...Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

hello

hey gents. i was wondering if you could help me out with something. if any of you have a 54 with lyman receiver sights would you mind telling me what increment is used for elevation. i know this is vague but i dont know what model sight it is. also there is an a at the end of the serial #, any idea what that means? i ran it through that search and it wouldnt accept the number with the a at the end. sorry for the noob Q's. happy hunting

Jorge in Oz

Beautiful rifle Rick, you sure have good taste in rifles, similar to the stuff I like, that's a gem. Was this a mauser type action and was it inspired by the springfield at all or was it a completely new design. I don't think I've ever seen a Model 54 advertised here in Oz but I bet it would be worth a mint.

Have you shot it at all or is it a safe queen?

Cheers

jorge
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

sakorick

It's a Mauser type action and a safe queen. The Lyman sight is 1/4 MOA at 100 yards from what I gather. Thanks for the good words and regards, Rick.

kombi1976

Well, that is gorgeous, Rick.
I hope it will be shot just a little, not just stowed away.
They really don't make rifles like they used to.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

hello

thanks much rick. very much appreciate the help. im hoping to get some range time with mine. its been in the family since the year of production but ive never really used it.

Tags: