rossi centerfire singleshots

Started by Lost Hunta, December 19, 2004, 03:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost Hunta

"Cari" my M4 carbine

drinksgin (deceased)

LH;

I have seen several Brazilian guns, none seemed to be very well made or finished, several sites have comments on them, all are non complimentary, the NEF-H&R 1879 are better looking, at least some, and a number of satisfied owners have commented on them in a favorable manner for their accuracy and reliability, as well as the ease of getting extra barrels in different calibers and gages for a very reasonable price.
I would do the safe thing and buy American.
Don:)
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

Flatlander

I like the savage ssi it's economically priced a decnt looking gun a real good as far as I 'm concerned in accuracy I have a 30-06 and wouldn't trade it for a lot of the higher priced rifles

fish

go nef handi-rifle. then go to graybeardoutdoors.com to learn how to tune it. i've had several. got two now. they'll do.

drinksgin (deceased)

LH;
Type in "NEF Rifles" in search, this site is VERY informative, go through all of it.
Don. :D

kombi1976

Ummm, nothing against you guys who love NEF rifles, but does anyone actually know how the Rossi shoots?
I've heard lots of folks say the Handirifle resembles a canoe paddle and that they're pretty rough round the edges and I might say that there hasn't been much more than that said here about the Rossi.
Besides, I live in Oz and the Rossis are about 2 3rds the price of a NEF. I have no access to NEF's wonderful barrel program and I really want to know what AUD$300 worth of Brazilian rifle can do!
So let's cut the "Buy USA!" hype and get down to business!
What are they like on a bulls eye from 100yards?
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

drinksgin (deceased)

Kombi;

It is always in a person's best interest to buy merchandise made in one's own country, just as a matter of self interest.
I would expect you to do the same, even to the extent of drinking Foster's:D .
You do drive a Holden, or other OZ made vehicle, don't you?
I have looked at several single shot sites, the Rossi sites are all for Rossi, the H&R-NEF are all for H&R-NEF, the more or less unaligned sites have a lot of posts about crude or second rate copy of H&R-NEF, all are agreed there is very poor support for interchangeable barrels from Rossi.
Comments range from"junky, a waste of money " to" really great, once a little work is done on the wood and a trigger job and some decent sights installed".
I do not have one, I have handled several at gun shows, I was not favorably impressed, even by the '92, '61 and '63 clones, which are actually quite far from cheap.
I am not going to buy one, voting with my dollars.
H&R-NEF are much more accessable for shooters in America and have a wider choice of accessory barrels available at a very good price.
This is not the case in OZ, so you really should find some people who have Rossi rifles in OZ and get their opinions.
Don:cool:

kombi1976

Drinksgin, I think perhaps you may've misinterpretted my meaning.

When trying to ascertain the worth of a product on it's own merits I don't think it's nation of origin should matter. Those people who like SKS rifles, K-98s, Sakos, CZs and many brands of Italian shotgun aren't held back by the fact that they're made in Europe.

Yes, I do drive a Holden, but only because it's a re-badged Isuzu that was, for the record, made in Japan. Quite frankly I'd rather drive a Ford or better yet a VW if the product and price was right.
No, I NEVER drink Fosters....why do you think we export the stuff? :D

There are plenty of things right with the NEF but most people end up doing some work on the trigger. I expect nothing less from the Rossi. They're really cheap rifles.
As far as the barrel program goes for the 2 companies I'm not eligible either way. If I lived in the States I'd be buying a NEF too, just because of the advantages but that isn't the question.

For the record I've asked a number of people here in Oz how the Rossis perform and they're just as in the dark as myself.

So please can someone, whether they live in the confines of the USA, in deepest, darkest Peru or at the North Pole for that matter (maybe Santa uses one to hunt polar bears :eek:), please let me know how it groups!! :confused:
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Kombi,

I certainly wish I could be of help but haven't had any come thru the shop so I am also in the dark as to their accuracy potential.  My apologies, neighbor!

Ol' John

PS--Whats wrong with Fosters ?  Certainly drinkable and I outta know based on my experience of years ago.
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

drinksgin (deceased)

John;
Any idea why the OZ'ies I know call it "KP"?
Don't suppose you recall the world famous"Valley Royal" beer from the early '60, made in Mercedes?
Only made 3 batches and had to give away the first and third.:D
Don

Big Red Trike

Good day everybody;

I have a Rossi 50. Cal. muzzle loader, bought it last Spring, I shoot 100 grains of 777 pellets and a 240 grain Hornady XTP w/sabot and have sub 1.5 inch 3 shot groups regularily with no monkeying or cleaning between rounds. I can shoot up to 12 - 15 rounds at the range before accuracy becomes affected...777 is amazing stuff.....

It shoots so straight that I know/have friends who bought T/C Omega's for 3 times the price and their guns loaded indentically can't shoot sub 3.5 inch groups. They are far more experienced than I...better shots with either muzzle or high power.....;)

I also just bought a H&R 243 w/ laminated stock and bull barrel for the wife and son to shoot. I had it too the range and shot sub 2 inch 3 shot groups out of the box, I scoped it with a 4.5 x 14 x 40 AO from simmons. I was pretty happy considering I was shooting Winchester cheapos in 100 grain soft points.

Pick the one that fits you best then clean it, shoot it and clean it again until its broken in usually around 20 rounds.

Both makers build accurate guns....dont be afraid of either of them.

Hope this helps

They all kill the same.....

BRT

paulry

Ok I agree with you here!

I would also like to hear from SOMEONE who owns and shoots a Rossi breakopen rifle. Not someone who knows someone, ect.

So I put my money down and bought one today at Dicks Sporting Goods (the supposed evil .243 win). The deal was to good to pass up. $129.95 new in hard shell case with 3-9 power Simmons scope mounted and bore sighted. I will take it out and shoot factory loads with it and let EVERYONE know if it is good or not. This will take a little time but to be fair I think it should be done.

I have owned 4 Thompson Contenders over the last 30 years. I shot and reloaded the .222, .223, .44mag, .410/ .45colt and 7mm TCU. Hundreds of mound dogs and cucks with the .223 and mule's with the 7mm TCU. So I have single shot expericance.

(If you have a single shot center fire you only want an extractor, not an ejector. remember we keep the brass this way.)

I love automatic wepons and would love to own a mini gun (with skid of ammo). That's why I attended the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot (shock and awe). So I'm not a single shot only person. But on a daily basis we really shoot one shot at a time. We all should strive for the best shot possible (is safer anyway) for the game and the sport. If we are target shooting what is the difference between a bolt or a breakopen? We shoot, look at the target, reload and shoot again (no difference).  

In the past I have never liked the look of the Rossi or HR single shot break open rifles. I must say this damm thing has grown on me. I stopped at Gander Mt. just to compare price before I bought from Dicks and they have a massive sale on everything as well as firearms ($20 Million Dollar Sale) you may want to check it out. Gander had .233, 7.62 x 39mm and .308 Rossi rifles for $149.00 each (without scope) wow talk about a great little plinking rifle that has cheap easy to find ammo that can drop a whitetail.

I will test the one I have and will report back with photos to set the record straight, if it sucks, I will be the first to say as well. Rossi does offer a life time warranty. If it does not shoot ok, it will go back!

Let's have a little fun with this.

These little rifles kinda stick on me and if they can shoot better than I can, I think I will "STACK THEM DEEP"

SHOOT STRAIGHT ONE SHOT AT A TIME!:hat:

PRY

Paul Hoskins

Lost Hunta, the only Rossi break action I have is the 17 HRM. It shoots as well and possibly better than my Savage 93 in 17 HRM. The trigger sucks but that's to be expected from a gun of this type. Personally I prefer the NEF Handi Rifle as long as it's not a 500 S&W. They are both ugly as a mother in law. .....Paul H

kombi1976

Paulry, you are a man of my own heart.
I'd be tempted to pick up a Rossi if it didn't involve the paperwork and 6 weeks of waiting every firearm purchase does here.
I look forward to finding out how well this Rossi will shoot as I've seen them advertised for under $300 with a plastic stock and nickel plating.
Pity they don't chamber them in interesting rounds like 257 Roberts, 6.5x55, 303 Brit or 7x57.
Cheers & God Bless

Tags: