Spring Squirrel Season

Started by bowhunter 51, May 06, 2008, 08:11:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowhunter 51

Spring squirrel season opens, Saturday May 10th.  here in the Great state of
Tennessee, USA.......It will we a great time to hone those hunting skills and tone-up
those stalking muscles...and get eat up by mosquito's...Oh Yea!..I'm prepared.....
I'll be using my 45 cal. CVA inline, ....that's right!....What?...You think that's a bit
much?...Too much Knock-down?....Naw...I only keep the hind quarters anyway....
And it's perfectly legal...even on most WMA's....Besides, been doin' it and really
doesn't leave that big a hole using 250 grain projectiles....Maybe I'll have some
pic's..............................The woods is So pertty right now:) ........................BH51........
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

buckshot roberts

:biggthumpup: we have a season here, it starts  in june. This summer hunting is also a good time to try a youngster out on hunting. if you have an air rifle give use it, I hunt the first two ,three houre of the morning, when it's kind'a cool. The squirrels spend most of their time foraging in the tree tops, where they are hard to see,I like hunting around the mulberry, or berry type trees. With all the cover of the trees, it's easy for them to slip by you, but it can also work for you, I've had them come up on me before they even knew it:eek:. You can hunt late in the evening around creeks, when they come out to drink before they call it a day.

also one other game you can take in the summer is the ol' ground hog, they are good to eat, I like taking them after they have chow'd down on some farmers crops. hunting squirrels in the summer gives you some good deer scouting, if you bow hunt, just take along some ice packs, put your meat in. Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

gitano

You guys are killin' me...

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Ron, I'm planning on doing some squirrel hunting myself come June. There is a four acre patch of big timber close by and I love hunting it with the 10/22. There is mulberry trees along the creek at the lower side and maple scattered throughout. Lots of fox squirrels there.   .............Paul H

Brithunter

Good luck with the Squirrels :biggthumpup: I still find it hard to understand the seasons for everything in the US. Here Grey Squirrels are vermin so no season, at one time the Forrestry Commison paid a bounty on their tails :greentongue: so you got paid for hunting them. The smaller Red and native squirrel is protected as it's been in decline due to the grey's. Seems the Grey's carry a desease which is fatal the Red squirrel and it's not just competition for habitat like it used to be thought that caused the Reds decline. The Red Squirrel is on the limits of it's range here in the UK. As a boy I remember them breednig in the large Oak at the bottom of the garden but now there are only a few places where you can go and see them in the wild.

Greys inhabit just about every bit of woodland though sadly where I now live there is not much woodland being fen land so have to travel a few miles to see any squirrels not so on my little patch down south which always has several Dreys on it:-

Every year they need thinning out and I get "Brownie Points" with the owner and neighbour for doing so :greentongue: .
Go Get them Floyd!

bowhunter 51

Well Brit'...Those look exactly like the ones we have here...sometimes
considered vermin in cities and township as the become accustom to
humans but in the wild, as illusive & challenging as any wild deer...some-
times compared to nasty rats, they are not...they eat the most wholesome
of nuts and new growth buds...I save the meaty parts, back and hind legs
and love their unique flavor...Make great stews and fry-up good too...
We get about 7 mths each year to hunt them & a 10 per hunt limit...BH51.

recoil junky

Aw heck I thought we was talking about those ground dwelling rodents. I got all excited there for a minute. The only squirrels we have here in NW Clorado are those pesky pine squirrels that chew you up one side and  down the other for interupting their peace and quiet. Not much left of one after a 22lr to the head. It would take about  15 of them to make a bite. They taste like a pine cone to boot.:greentongue:

Around Miles City as a kid we had those ginormous grey squirrels.  About the size of a small dog. They would beat up on Mom's Peekapooh and eat her dog food. I thought it was funny as all get out. Mom got out her old Steven's single shot 22 and we had Hossenfeffer with squirrel instead of rabbit. It was quite tastey!!

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

buckshot roberts

:greentongue: Yep if they live in them ol' pine's they sure do taste, like'm, that's why I shy away from  hunt'em in pine's, I never hunt'ed big city squirrels, seem them eat a lot of popcorn and peanut's, when season opens in june maybe I'll go down to the big city, an shoot me a few an see. Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

recoil junky

Maybe they'll taste like popcorn or peanuts!!!

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

QuoteI still find it hard to understand the seasons for everything in the US.

You are not alone.

Paul[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Be nicer than necessary.

buckshot roberts

:biggthumpup: Hey it's not that bad... Ron

Alboy

Well it is sort of patch work.

You need to really study where you are going to visit or find a local to help keep you on the right path. Includes fishing.

Guy here at work, came from Egypt about 2 years ago, decided fishing sounded good. Went by a store, geared up, licensed up and went after flounder the first weekend. Said he was fishing right beside a lady that was catching hand over fist while he did manage to land two. He thought it was funny she measured every flounder but did not ask her any questions. When he checked out the warden at the station measured his two flounder, said those are fine and did you have a good day, etc. That is when he learned there was a size slot but got lucky as his fit.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Paul Hoskins

Any of you guy's ever have an old male fox squirrel threaten you in the woods like a dog?...........Paul H

bowhunter 51

Yes....matter of fact, I have....It was some 20 some'odd year ago but I
think about that incident often and it's one of those things that you vividly
picture in your minds'eye memory as it was so strange.....He was bristled
up and barking mad (may he rest in peace). ..Ain't happened since.......BH51...

Alboy

Paul H
You mean just before the 22 barked back and they lost their pajamas?

Yep
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Tags: