Unusual Visitor

Started by Paul Hoskins, May 01, 2008, 07:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Hoskins

We don't see these redheaded woodpeckers around here too often. He certainly is an arrogant devil. Abuses the redbelly woodpeckers unmercifully. I saw him with a girlfriend today. Hopefully they will stick around a while. Very colorful birds. ..............Paul H

buckshot roberts

:biggthumpup: Paul nice pics, thanks  :smiley: what did you us to take them. Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Paul Hoskins

Thanks Ron. Actually they aren't that good. Had to take them through the window. The camera wants to focus on the glass. It's a Canon Powershot, S3 IS. Have no idea what 75% of the knobs and buttons are for. More of that high tech Jap stuff I reckon. ................Paul H

Clueless

Nice pics Paul

We have what we call a "wood hen" not sure why I call a male woodpecker a "hen" but we do.

Much bigger woodpecker than yours and they "Yell"

Nice colorful bird Paul.  Hope he hangs around for you.
A mind always employed is always happy. This is the true secret, the grand recipe, for felicity.
Thomas Jefferson

Sandhills Guru

Super pics.

REds are quite common in my area.    I have suet feeders out for tree peckers.   It brings in quite a few of them.    Love watching the birds.

Clueless

Same here Sandhills.  Our big woodpecker looks like "Woody the Woodpecker"  Red head, stripped body and a very large bird.  And loud!! No doubt who is around when he is here. :smiley:

Our hummngbirds are here and like "dive bomers" around our heads when we're outside.
We pretty much get the same hummers every year.  I've noticed a couple males looking a little different than our usual male.  Our usual male was here couple weeks ago.
And the girls are beginning to come to the feeders too.

We have a large groupings of birds of prey too.  Owls, eagles, hawks.
A mind always employed is always happy. This is the true secret, the grand recipe, for felicity.
Thomas Jefferson

Daryl (deceased)

I don't mind woodpeckers, if they'd just stop pecking holes in my house.

Oh, and if they'd stop pecking holes in the stucko on mom's house, that'd be ok too.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

mtnpenny

Daryl- that is what I was going to say.  They are all perty and all until they start pecking holes in the house.
mtn_penny
Save a life.
Become an organ donor today.

clicky > http://dragcave.net/user/mtnpenny < click

davidlt89

QuoteRed head, stripped body and a very large bird. And loud!!

I think we have the same ones. big red head, and a very large body, must be over a foot and half tall.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Paul Hoskins

I think the large woodpecker in question is the pileated woodpecker. (dryocopus pileatus) A rather common bird around here but still rather scarce. Found where there is plenty of dead trees.   ...........Paul H

Clueless

I've heard them called "pie eyed" woodpeckers.
And they are about 1 1/2 ft tall or taller.

They are common around here too.  And they seem to work on dead or dying trees or branches.  They commonly nest in pine trees in our area.  Anyway I see them flying into and out of pine trees so I'm assuming they nest in the pines.

Never have seen a nest.
Thomas Jefferson

noel

I see them up here all the time.used to have a stump in my front yard that they enjoyed.had five of them on it one day!when one of those fellas starts peckin it looks like a chainsaw has been cuttin for a while!just a pile of chips on the ground.hey,clue,next time you here them "yell" think about the sounds you here in jungle movies and tell me if it's not the same!
Better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it!
member;National Fiirearms Assocciation
Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
gun owners of Canada
North American Hunting Club

Clueless

Come to think of it sounds pretty much like the jungle sounds in movies.  Hadn't ever given the idea much thought. :smiley:
Thomas Jefferson

greywolf

we have the pileated woodpeckers here by the droves , funny little guys , they seem to like sitting on my chainlink fence posts and peck at the metal posts. Wonder if they think they can "bore" through or they just don't get it ? or ? big racket all summer long though , lots of stellar's jays here and finches too ! I just love all the color variations they all come in , makes for a very enjoyable summer. I soooo hate winter(except for hunting season)
- Fire up the grill ! \'Cause huntin , ain\'t catch and release!

-www.torontothebad.com.... help us fight bad gun laws ! boycott toronto!

LvrLover

Some times woodpeckers will drum on stuff just for the sound. Maybe it attracts others. I don't know a lot about that, but what I do know is very often when they are pecking on a house(especially one made of wood) there are bugs in it and you better take a look to see if there is any sort of infestation.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

Tags: