rebarrel or buy a new rifle?

Started by AZ Shooter Gal, April 11, 2008, 05:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZ Shooter Gal

I have a lovely 600 remington in .308win.  I want a .260 remington.  I am soliciting opinions on rebarreling the 600 or buying a new rifle, perhaps a Model 7. Input please!

SharonAnne

klallen

If ya can't live without the 600 as it currently sits (i.e. you love the .308 cartridge) and you have the $$$ go for the new rifle.  There's never anything wrong with investing in something new to play with.

I guess at the other end, if you don't need or want two rifles, can do without the .308 and want to save a little $$$, investing in a quality barrel and reputable smith and giving that 600 a facelift of sorts would be just a reasonable a way to go.  Depending on the maker of the barrel you choose to go with will determine how much you save.  Just for kicks, I had a custom .280 AI built around a cheap Adams & Bennett barrel and have not been in the least bit disappointed.  You want to spend more, you certainly can.  I've always thought the most important part to any custom job is the person you hire to put everything together.  There's lots of hacks out there with a lathe and some basic machining knowledge calling themselves gunsmiths.  Do some digging and you'll find the person your looking for.  If you can't find someone local, I can put you in contact with someone guaranteed to get the job done right.

Good luck with the decision.  These kinds of choices are lots of fun !!!  ;o)  Later.  klallen

Paul Hoskins

SharonAnne, Most any barrel maker these days uses the button rifling process. It's rather difficult to make a bad barrel with this process. Maching the blank down is another matter tho. These high priced blanks are just that. Some makers will put a little more effort into polishing the bores and upping the price three or four hundred percent. For general hunting under field conditions, they are no better than an 80 dollar A&B blank or a 140 dollar Douglas blank. I would simply rebarrel the 600 and keep the 308 barrel in case you want to switch back. Cheaper than a new model seven and you still have both barrels.    ............Paul H

LvrLover

Quote from: Paul Hoskins;77321SharonAnne, Most any barrel maker these days uses the button rifling process. It's rather difficult to make a bad barrel with this process. Maching the blank down is another matter tho. These high priced blanks are just that. Some makers will put a little more effort into polishing the bores and upping the price three or four hundred percent. For general hunting under field conditions, they are no better than an 80 dollar A&B blank or a 140 dollar Douglas blank. I would simply rebarrel the 600 and keep the 308 barrel in case you want to switch back. Cheaper than a new model seven and you still have both barrels. ............Paul H
In my neck of the woods, fitting a new barrel and chambering it done by any gunsmith is going to run $200 or more without the barrel. How much is a model 7 running now? Are you really going to save that much with a re barrel? This is how I talk myself into a new gun. Now if you only had a savage it would be an easy decision.:biggthumpup:
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

sakorick

Quote from: LvrLover;77390In my neck of the woods, fitting a new barrel and chambering it done by any gunsmith is going to run $200 or more without the barrel. How much is a model 7 running now? Are you really going to save that much with a re barrel? This is how I talk myself into a new gun. Now if you only had a savage it would be an easy decision.:biggthumpup:

First, if I owned a Savage it would be for sale. Second, Mark Skaggs, 15510 Hwy 238, Grants Pass, OR 97527, will install an A@B barrel, headspaced and blued for around 200 dollars. He has a huge stockpile of barrels and a fast turn around. I don't have his number handy, however, he has a web page. I agree with Paul 100%. Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

AZ Shooter Gal

ok, adding fuel to the fire.  how about the 600 remington in a switch barrel, with .260 remington, .308 win AND .358 winchester barrels???

RatherBHuntin

You never said, is the barrel shot out, or are you just looking for lighter recoil? Me personally, I would leave it and go the Savage route if a switch barrel was in order.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Paul Hoskins

AZ gal, setting up the 600 for a switch barrel should be no big deal. It's a rather straight foreward job to turn the barrel shanks straight and thread like the Savages and make a barrel nut for headspacing. Most bolt contraptions can be done like this. As long as the cartridge is compatible with the bolt face and magazine this works as well as the Savage. The same nut can be used for all three barrels. A little work may have to be done on the stock for inletting the nut, "possibly," but this is no big deal either.   ..............Paul H

AZ Shooter Gal

the .308 barrel is fine.   0.75" 3 shot groups with 150gr power point remingtons. I

am looking for lighter recoil like my brother-in-laws 6.5x55 swede. i gave my

.30-06 sako to my good-for-nothing son-in-law. I had hopes he would join the

family hunt but it was not to be. I now have my late uncles 600 remington. I did

load development for my b-i-l 6.5 and I like the light recoil and accuracy.  While I

was at it I thought about a .358 for game like moose.  I am lost on the "nut".

since the .308 does not have one, why would a switch-barrel have one??

Brithunter

It's an easy way to make a normal breeched up rifle into a switch barrel. Instead of having a shoulder on the barrel to tighten up against the face of the action ring the "Nut" serves as the shoulder.
Go Get them Floyd!

Paul Hoskins

What BH said, AZ gal.  ............Paul H

AZ Shooter Gal

Does anyone have a drawing or photo of this system? I am having trouble picturing how it would work.

Paul Hoskins

AZ Gal, Look at the Savage  bolt guns. Same idea.   ..........Paul H

fish3006

600s are way cool. Re-barrel to .260 remington and go with it. If you already don't like the recoil of the .308, what's the point in a switch-barrel rig that includes that chambering?

Paul Hoskins

It's neat to have several barrels for the same action. I would even throw in a 22/250 for a short varmint rig. Makes a nice short combination gun.   ........Paul H

Tags: