Why Go to Church?

Started by RavenBeauty, October 10, 2004, 06:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RavenBeauty

Why Go To Church?

A Church goer wrote a letter to the editor of a newspaper and complained that it made no sense to go to church every Sunday.  "I've gone for 30 years now," he wrote, "and in that time I have heard something like 3,000 sermons.  But for the life of me, I can't remember a single one of them.  So, I think I'm wasting my time and the pastors are wasting theirs by giving sermons at all."

This started a real controversy in the "Letters to the Editor" column, much to the delight of the editor.  

It went on for weeks until someone wrote this clincher:

"I've been married for 30 years now.  In that time my wife has cooked some 32,000 meals.  But, for the life of me, I cannot recall the entire menu for a single one of those meals.  But I do know this...

They all nourished me and gave me the strength I needed to do my work.  If my wife had not given me these meals, I would be physically dead today.

Likewise, if I had not gone to church for nourishment, I would be spiritually dead today!"

When you are DOWN to nothing....  God is UP to something!  Faith sees the invisible, believes the incredible and receives the impossible!
Thank God for our physical AND our spiritual nourishment!

"When Satan is knocking at your door, simply say,"Jesus, could you get that for me?!!"

Daryl (deceased)

Good post Raven; thanks!

Az
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

motor (deceased)

great post, thanks RB.
 I especialy like the quote, "When you are DOWN to nothing.... God is UP to something! Faith sees the invisible, believes the incredible and receives the impossible!"

how true that is
Just an ole sinner saved by grace

12 gauge

Yes thanks!

Great post!

It is true! so true!

God bless all! :D
"I only hunt and fish on days that end in \'Y\'"- 12 gauge

cgphunter

What a good post RB,
I think we all need little reminders like that to help us along the way.

Chris
It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them.
- Mark Twain

Any relation to the land, the habit of tilling it, or mining it, or even hunting on it, generates the feeling of patriotism.
- Ralph W. Emerson

Stryker

That's a great post Raven.

Reminds me of the story I heard about a preacher who had gone to visit a member who had stopped attending. The man invited him in out of the cold and they started chatting by the fire. The man began to explain that he felt church was begining to be a waste of time. He thought he had learned everything he could learn from it. So he thought he would just continue with his personal bible study and continue worshipping God from home. The preacher had said nothing during this time and without saying a word, the preacher picked one of the coals out of the fire and set it on the hearth. Both of the men sat in quiet and watched as the fire from that one coal continued to diminish until the coal was almost out. The preacher picked the coal back up and placed it back in the fire and it immediately resumed it's flame. The church member looked over at the preacher and simply said, I'll see you Sunday.

Many folks fail to realize that without that fellowship with other believers, we begin to take on the properties of that piece of coal. Our fire burns brightest for the Lord when we, as Christians, worship together. "Where ever one or more of you are gathered in my name..."
- Mark

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wonderng if they made a difference. The MARINES don\'t have that problem."
- President Ronald Reagan 1985

RavenBeauty

oh stryker i LOVE that story you told.  it will be one of those things I remember always and will tell again and again when I have the opportunity!! thank you!

Tags: