Most accurate broadhead

Started by Luke, April 03, 2008, 01:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke

Whats you guys' opinions on the most accurate broadhead.

To me I would have to say its the Trophy Ridge Rocket Hammerhead or the Rocket Sidewinder.

What do you think?

bowhunter 51

Never thought about any broadhead bringing accuracy.....so long as it's
sharp and don't wobble...I'm good...I've made some long shots but most
the time I want to deliver an arrow instantly and at a short distance...
The heavier the arrow,...the better...Now I used to shoot with some guys
that participated  in tournaments.....field points...they made a fuss about
arrow balance, straightness and rigidness...I picked up on that..much
more important, to me....I'm subject to pick up any 4-blade within
weight...so long as they spin true without wobble....might try some of
them Trophy Ridge broadhead, if'n I run across some...................BH51.......
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

davidlt89

Have not used enough of them to give an opinion. every broad head I have used i just screwed on, sighted in the bow and away I went. Arrows have always gone where I needed them to go. Most of the time I believe an inaccuracy I may have is more my fault then the equipment. God bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

I've been using Satelites for as long as I can remember. Used Zwickeys before that.

We differ in attitude about weight though. I use the lightest arrowheads I can get that give the overall minimum arrow weight required by law. In addition, I use the lightest-spined carbon/graphite arrows that again allow me to meet the minimum arrow weight.

Years ago, I did some chronographing of my arrows, and arrow weight translates directly to arrow speed. If you want them to get there fast, you gottta use the lightest arrow law allows. So far I've not lost an animal or failed to have a pass-through. The last animal I shot with a bow was a cow moose at about 40 paces. The arrow struck on the long axis midline of the body right behind the shoulder, but because I was about 20 ft below her in elevation, it angled up and glanced off the bottom of her spine. She fell like she was pole-axed. (Which was a good thing, because she was standing at the top of a hill, and had she gone down and away, I would have had to carry her up about 100 feet just to get her back to where I shot her.) Anyway... the light arrowhead didn't seem to be a problem as it pierced the on-side lung, hit the spine to stun her, and went on out the far side.

I'm not trying to talk anyone into anything, just noting that there is a VERY straight-forward relationship between arrow weight and velocity. If your interest is getting the arrow there as fast as possible, (for flattest trajectory and minimal "string jump"), the lighter the arrow, the faster it goes.

I'll try to find the graphs of arrow weight versus velocity and post them. It was about 20 years ago though. In the mean time, here's a picture of that moose.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

bowhunter 51

Alot of bowhunters differ with me on using the heavier arrow, and for
exactly the same reasons as do you, Paul......Fact is, I'm not so concerned
about distance, in which speed is definately a plus, as I am penetration
as weight is a plus....where I hunt and how I hunt depicts my choice as
I'm most often in dense foliage at close quarters...Not uncommon to have
to shave some leaves prior to my arrow's arrival...Not really many open
shots either....Plus I'm pulling a full 70 lbs (getting harder ta do) helps
deliver heavier arrows with penetration foremost...All my kills have been
pass-thru with the exception of a direct spine hit and one shoulder hit
on whitetail, that I can recall...both at about 40 yrds....prefer 20 or less..

Nice moose, Paul....big animal and a classic example why ya gotta have
sharp broadheads....I've used satelites, too....................................BH51.........

gitano

I have the same attitude aboout 'heavy vs light' in arrows as I do in bullets... Shoot what ya like, because they both 'work'.

I'm trying to remember, and I don't seem to recall bow hunting in anything I would call 'dense' brush. Or r even light' brush for that matter. Even when I was hunting in Missouri, I hunted almost exlcusively (for deer) from a tree. I spent a whole lot more time hunting squirrels, which was of course from the ground.

Returning to the topic of "accurate broadheads", with very few exceptions, I truly don't think 'accuracy' is affected much by broadhead type. Again, this is in spite of the spewings of "gunwriters" (ptooey) to the contrary. For that matter, it is my heartfelt belief that there is twice the voodoo spewed by archery "gunwriters" (ptooey) as there is by gun gunwriters (ptooey). The archery community, like the flyfishing community, (and other outdoor "sports" as well), has gotten entirely too "foofoo" for my tastes. I simply cannot bring myself to identify with the "typical" archery hunter today any more than I identify with the "typical" flyfisherman of today.

Sorry about getting off topic again. Just not much to say about broadhead manufacturer and accuracy. Much easier to climb up on one of a couple of favorite hobby horses. :)

Paul

PS - Oh yeah, a preliminary search through my old files didn't locate those arrow velocity graphs. I'll keep looking though.
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

well, heres a question since we are talking about heavy and light arrows. I don't know much about arrow selection. I know when you buy them there is a chart that tells you what arrow weight you "can" use with your bow. I am assuming that it all depends on the amount of pounds that you are pulling, am I wrong? I was assuming there was a minimum weight you could use depending on your draw weight. Or can you buy the absolute lightest arrow you want? Some of Pauls information really got me thinking. where I hunt, 40-50 yard shots are more likely than 30. farthest I have killed from is 47. these shots can present themselves everynight and I would like to have as much speed as I can get. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

The arrow characteristic we're talking about here is referred to as "spine". Arrows are made with different 'spines', meaning stiffness. You choose an arrow with a spine appropriate for it's LENGTH and your bow's draw weight. When you release the string, it converts it's potential energy into the arrows kinetic energy. The arrow's inertia (the tendency of a body at rest to remain at rest) causes the arrow to 'lag' behind the strings thrust. The stiffer the arrow the faster it responds to the string and with less bending.

In wooden arrows, the spine is almost solely a function of arrow diameter and therefore weight. (Of course if you change wood types there is a little variation in spine with diameter.) In aluminum arrows, spine is determined by diameter AND wall thickness. (I assume you are familiar with aluminum arrow nomencalture such as 2117 or 2215.) With the advent of graphite/carbon arrows, spine can be determined by wall thickness and fabrication method AND materials. Graphite arrows can therefore offer a wider range of spines for a given draw weight in a much lighter arrow. But... there ain't no "free" lunches. You pay for that wider range of choices, and I do mean PAY $$$.

Arrowhead weight is also a factor. You can have a lighter spined arrow for a given draw weight and length, IF you also have a lighter arrowhead. If you increase the arrowhead weight, you must increase the spine, or the flex in the arrow at release will make the arrow bend too much for accurate shots.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

bowhunter 51

Yea,...Spine....that's what I meant when I was refering to arrow rigidness.
I got to thinking about Luke's original question as to broadhead accuracy..
I have had arrows cut to length and inserts applied...I have had them
cut improperly and inserts pressed in crooked and broadheads screw in
crooked'y...I've had all three problems occur, or combination of any two...
And let me tell you, That will affect accuracy BIG TIME...I always spin
the assembled arrow with broadhead, like a top to insure I've a wobble
free broadhead application....I've purchased broadheads that simply, for
whatever reason, refuse to screw on straight...sometimes, might be just
one out of a package of three or so...Hence,....could it be that not all are
mass produced equally?.....let us ponder........................................BH51.....

greywolf

Perrsonally , my fav's were muzzy's, but recently I have been getting into the magnus line , and they ARE a fine broadhead , as for accuracy , anything i have ever shot from my bow has hit it's mark, whether muzzy or magnus ,  my favorite  broadhead is qiuckly becoming the magnus stinger buzzcut ! does a lot of damage! Just my view :)

M.
- Fire up the grill ! \'Cause huntin , ain\'t catch and release!

-www.torontothebad.com.... help us fight bad gun laws ! boycott toronto!

bowhunter 51

That's what I'm set-up with currently, Mussy's................................BH51.....

rabbit rangler

gitano

Quote from: rabbit rangler;79066sweet moose

Indeed it was...

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

rabbit rangler

Wenzel Woodsman.  Hands down, no doubt, no arguing. Period.

Mauserfan in TX

I used Muzzy broadheads for years, until i had an issue with a compound bow i was using just would not shoot them accurately past 20 yds. It had something to do with the cam. I switched to the Rage 2 blade mech. and have been pleased with their performance. Oh yeah. I got rid of the finicky bow.:biggthumpup:
8\'s is Great
Col Charles Askins

Tags: