Green River Knives

Started by RatherBHuntin, March 22, 2008, 06:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RatherBHuntin

I've had this idea for a matching set of knives for my brothers and I for a long time now, and had intended to have them done for last Christmas, but the best laid plans of mice and men....A generous member of THL from up north sent me a caribou antler beam to fabricate the handles from and I ordered some Russel - Green River Works  blades from Track of the Wolf.  What I wanted was to have knives that were close, but not exactly the same, like my brothers and I, so the different blades but handles from the same antler worked out great (though harder than I thought).  The sheaths were made from the same single shoulder of cowhide that I've been working with for a month now.  As you can see there is still plenty left for that magazine pouch I need, and my brother placed an order for a speedloader pouch.

The antler was really hard, and not having the right tools made it even harder.  I really needed a band saw to get the scales off the beam in the correct proportions.  I had to use a vice and a SawsAll, which just isn't the best way.  So, after mangling the antler, I had to borrow a belt sander to straighten them out and get somewhat flat pieces for what I wanted.  Some epoxy helped to fill out the small variations that were left.  I still have to put the brass pins in the handles.  One of the knives will get cutler's rivets, though I decided after looking at it that I didn't want those big rivets in the others, they just don't compliment the knives.  I haven't decided whether to polish the handles to an ivory finish or leave them with the patina on them.  I liked them both ways, your opinions are welcomed.  I really could have used a bench grinder and a band saw.

The leather I had a much better time with.  For starters, I bought the right tools, which I'm sure everyone will agree always makes the difference.  Those tools are much cheaper than power tools.  I looked through some catalogues for examples and went with my own design on one (which didn't turn out as well as I intended).  I think I learned something new with each one.  For instance, with carpentry you measure twice cut once, with leather it seems you measure once add a half inch then another half inch for good measure, then cut and trim later.  Glue works great for holding pieces together while you sew it.  Dies can and should be mixed and matched to get the color you want, no need to settle with what comes out of the bottle.  A SHARP razor blade makes it easy to get it just right and looks much better afterwards.  I can do a sheath pretty quick now.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

RatherBHuntin

Knife close up
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Daryl (deceased)

They look good Glenn!

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Alboy

That they do. Is the little one a boot knife? Been thinking of getting one and that looks likely.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Paul Hoskins

Glenn, I think I told you, you were getting something started that would turn into a business. Looks like you're on the way. Nice looking outfits and I really like the simple, uncluttered designs. Good work. ..........Paul H

RatherBHuntin

Thanks fellas.  
Paul,
I think I'll need a some more practice before I would feel comfortable charging money for any of that work, or rather before I charged enough money to make it worth while.  It is something I wouldn't mind doing on the side though.

Al,
I saw that little knife and thought that it might make a good caping knife, but once I got it I wasn't so sure.  I htink the blade should be a little thicker and a tad shorter.  Same for that knife on top, not thick enough.  Tha's the one I chose for myself along with the Mexican double loop sheath.

So polish them shiny white like the bottom or leave them as is?
Glenn

Ronald Reagan

Paul Hoskins

Glenn, I think I would leave them as is. I never cared for the fancy stuff. Looks more authenticc old west as is. Reminds me of one of the "elite" black hunters from Maryland that came to Maine bear hunting a few times. He had a custom built 7mm Rem. Mag. that cost 1200 dollars back then and a custom made skinning knife that he paid something like 180 dollars for. First class all the way but he sure took a ribbing about his fancy stuff. He was a great guy too. Good hunter also. ..............Paul H

davidlt89

Good looling knives Glenn, looks like you may have something to do on the side!!!! God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Alboy

I would vote for the unpolished but that gets real personal. Your brothers will appreciate them either way, or should.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

gitano

Quoteand had intended to have them done for last Christmas, but the best laid plans of mice and men
Whatever would you be talking about? That never happens to me. :)

Those are dandy looking knives Glenn, and sheathes too for that matter.

As for "smooth or textured", I'd have a difficult time picking. Handmade by a friend or relative always trumps style in my book. Once you start making them commercially, you can cater to the whims of your cusomers. I'm guessing your brother is going to really like his.

I'm sure there will be some folks that like one style, and others will like the other. As you have found out, caribou antler is very smooth compared to other member of the deer family, so the "textured" is only slightly rougher than "smooth". The big difference being patina'd or 'white'. Seems to me that the white, smooth form would lend itself nicely to scrimshaw. Being hard would be a plus for scrimshaw too. There... that's a new skill you can add to your knife-making repertoir - scrimshaw... Isn't it 'nice' when friends make "helpful" suggestions? :D

Great knives and sheathes! :biggthumpup:

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Glenn, I suspect Paul is an instigator or something. He keeps you thinking anyway. I like doing schrimshaw work but shake so bad any more it's difficult for me.   ............Paul H

gitano

QuoteI suspect Paul is an instigator or something

Seems turnabout is fair play to me. I've been "instigated" a time or two in this forum. :confused:  Present company included. :greentongue:

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

RatherBHuntin

Thanks Paul.  The two bigger knives are the same type, called Camp Knife, and they had a bigger handle on the blank to work with, and have a much nicer finished handle with several deep "veins" that run along the handles and add texture as well as asthetics, imo.  Those two are definitely being left as is, if I did more than just finish sand them it would smooth out the nice grooves that are there.  Since they are basically the same knife, though one has rivets and the other pins, I am giving them to my brothers.  I am keeping the Sheath Knife and the little straight blade is going to the donor of the antler.  I really like the heft of these knives.  Even though the blades are lighter than I thought they would be, the handles make up for it as they are very dense.  The antler was probably over 2" thick,  the only portion that I used from the whole is a slice of the outside portion of the antler, so none of the light honeycombed marrow part in the middle is there.

And Paul H., I think you're right.  It seems we've seen Gitano more than once try to get someone to jump in the deep end of the pool.  Hey, just cause he's swimming in it doesn't mean the rrest of us have to.  I showed a guy at work the knives today and that's the first thing he said, "That's a perfect surface to scrimshaw".  Being that I can neither cut nor draw a straight line, let alone draw anything more complex than a crooked square, I'll leave the scrimshawing to those who have some talent.

I got the rivets and pins in the handles, polished them up some and have almost called it quits.  I think I need to make a new sheath for one knife and that's about it.  I'm not satisfied with the sheath I made for the little knife (it's called a Ripper), but my kids liked it, so I may put the ripper in one of the other sheaths that is really just a tad too small for the camp knife in it and then make a new bigger one for the camp knife.
Glenn

Ronald Reagan

gitano

Glenn,

I saw a sheath at Track of the Wolf, http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(tr2dczfn0pigis55irqssg45))/categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=9&subId=57&styleId=217&partNum=SHEATH-MM, that really caught my eye for simplicity. The things I like about it are: The belt loop isn't an "add on" of some kind; but even better I think, is the idea that the knife, when sheathed, rests between your belt and your body. I think it would be difficult to have a knife slip out of the sheath (and get lost) without the wearer realizing it. The sheath(es) themselves look relatively easy to make. (That said by someone that hasn't made enough knife sheathes to know what he's talking about.)

I wonder what could be done with the antler cores. I'd bet ALboy or Jay or Drinksgin have some suggestions. ;)

Again, they look great. Beware... pretty soon those 'guys at work' will be 'commissioning' knife-work.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

RatherBHuntin

How about this one Paul?
Glenn

Ronald Reagan

Tags: