50 Alaskan Range Report - Sight In New Sights

Started by gitano, March 20, 2008, 06:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Finally today, the weather cooperated and all the stars seemed to line up and allow me to go to the range and get accomplished what I have been trying to do for a long time.

I took the .50 Alaskan in order to check out the sights I installed so long ago I can't remember when. I was using the Northwest Custom Projectile 500-grain flatbased bullet. Of primary interest was the bullet's impact elevation at 100 yds with the lowest blade (there are four) on the rear ramp. At 100 yds, it's right where I hoped it woudl be, centered 3.1" high. It was getting cold, and I didn't want to shoot in conditions that I would not hunt in, so I didn't see where the other blade's points of impact were. It's not really too big a deal at this point. They'll shoot higher at 100 yards, and when hunting I'll just adjust according to my range estimate based on some more range time.

Here's the 3-shot group: (It's the one with the big holes... ;))

As I said, it's 3.1" high of the point of aim. It's 1.485" wide by 1.343" high - almost exactly 2 square inches.

Muzzle velocity was 1716 f/s - QL predicted 1650.

At 3" high at 100 it'll be 39" low at 300 and be carrying 1531 ft-lbs. I intend to use the blade that puts it 6" high at 100, in which case it will be 29" low.

I'm very pleased that these sights turned out 'good'.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Good job on the sights Paul. Good group for iron sights too. I can't see iron sights any more. A little work with the file will put it where you want it.  ............Paul H

gitano

Paul - I'm not sure I'll need much file work as 3" high at 100 is fine for the lower blade. We'll see what happens with the other blades.

What I do need to do is fill the center line of each blade with white paint or wax (crayon). The blades do not have notches, being made so that the user could put whatever kind of notch they wanted on it. I think I'm not go into notch them. However, without a notch, there is need for some way to find the exact center of the blade (or whatever reference point you want) consistently and fast. Each blade has a veritcal line etched in it's center. It just needs to be filled with something visible.

When the weather warms up, I'm going to spend a day at the range with only the 50 and really 'wring it out'. I need to see how the flat-based 500 and the 400 shoot.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: