That dirty word for all of us couch potatoes

Started by kombi1976, March 19, 2008, 02:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kombi1976

Yep...that's the one - exercise.
Since the most recent major repair on my lemon of a 4x4 and the decision that it will be sold I decided the best solution was to ride to work.
It's pretty flat most of way and is about 2 miles at the most so I figured I could definitely manage it and I can certainly bear losing a some pounds - about 40 actually!
So yesterday I went down to the most serious cycle shop here in town and bought a Giant mountain bike and a new helmet.
Can you believe 24 gears is STANDARD these days!!
Anyhow, it seemed comfortable and I did about a mile riding around yesterday arvo.
Then I was up this morning with a change of clothes in my backpack and I set off for the ride.
I'm a school teacher and the ever present possiblility of being heckled by students is not one I relish but as I was on the roads about 45 minutes before school starts there were very few cars and even less students.
I was expecting a 15 to 20 min ride and was stunned to find that it had been closer to 10 minutes.
It was also exceptionally easy, so much so that I moved up through the gears quickly and found my eyes streaming from the wind, even with sunglasses on.
Only the rise at the end and the pain in my behind from a being unaccustomed to the saddle were downsides.
I found myself at work more than 1/2 an hour earlier than I usually am and much more refreshed.
Mind you the real test is making it happen EVERY day.
But the exercise is quite good and I can't see it difficult to make myself do it regularly, at least until it gets a fair bit colder.
Anyone else cycle to work?
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

davidlt89

Personally,  I like to have some CC's under the seat, but cycling is big here. a lot of guys I know put a 100 miles a day on . It has never peaked my interest at all, but may do it when the kids can. I used to be a gym rat before the kids. I even went to school and got a degree in a profession that got into training athletes and tending orthopedic injuries sustained in sports. since my first son, I have not gone to the gym. then we kept having them so that did not make it any easier. I am at 172lbs which the heaviest I have ever been. maybe I should follow your lead. keep it up. God bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

22hornet

I hope you still keep it up when its -5deg C outside. But riding for ten minutes in snow can't be THAT bad!;)
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

bowhunter 51

Cycleing is great exercise, Kombi....I used to run everyday but an ankle
injury from way back finally caught up with me.... during those years
I was never in better physical condition, and I still reap the benefit of
having been physically concious then...I don't run now but I can out walk
alot of people and can drag a 120 lb field dressed deer a long ways down
thru there in just a little while...It's good to stay active....

Glad to hear you've taken this positive attitude, dispite your misfortune.

And  davidt.....I loose a few more pounds and I'll be right in   the same
weight range with you...I tend to be healthiest around 170 lbs....I ain't
been there in a while:) .................................................................BH51........
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

kombi1976

Fortunately -5 C is not a common experience down here, at least during the day.
I can see myself getting some proper leggings for the winter though.
Even on today's cool morning a long sleeve cycling jersey would've helped limit the chill in the air.
But I need to drop some weight before I consider putting on anything that resembles cycling garb.
If I tried it at present I'd look like 10 potatoes in a stocking! :eek:
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Sandhills Guru

I began reading this last night and it almost made me take the chips & dip back to the kitchen. :confused:   All joking aside.

Not quite a year ago, matter of fact at the end of turkey season last spring, I was returning home from an outing.   Noticed my eyesight had been slipping for quite some time now.   I decided to head in and get the peepers checked out.  12 hours later, I am laying in the hospital.   Diabetis was the word.   Blood suger was 596 (normal is between 80-120) and AC1 was over 15% (under 7% is where you should be).  :undecided:

I had been proud of myself up too that point,  in  a little over 5 months I had lost over 45 lbs!   And I had pretty much convinced myself I had caused it by watching what I ate and more activity.  Long story short here,  I hadn't really changed anything it was the diabetis causing this along with the eye sight decline.

Fortunately my eye sight returned to within 95% of previous,  I have the Diabetis pretty much under control.   I did put back on about 35 of those pounds.  

I do exercise regularly now, 30 minutes a day minimum.  Eat much better than I ever have in my life.    My biggest problem with the exercise is I get bored doing the same old same old.   So I try to mix it up.  Shed hunting in some of the steepest terrain my area has to offer is good.  I try to incorporate fun activities into it as much as possible.   I got  some exercise equipment at home I use when I can't do it outdoors.   I bike a little, need to step that up more.

I did the workouts way back in highschool and college for sports and then kept it up a few years out.   But the weight slowly came on if you know what I mean.   Its sure a lot tougher getting it off than putting it on.  

If not now, then when?   I ask myself that now when I don't want to exercise or eat right.  Its cost me,  along with the diabetis, came high chlorestoral, HBP, & now neuroma has developed in my both feet which will limit some activities.

If not now, then when?

greywolf

hey I excercise plenty .... i walk out the door to the van, i start it i push the gas pedal .... hard work you know , also  i really get inventive during hunting season ..... bought a chair blind ...... takes 5 min to set up at least ..... more hard work...... after hunting season comes fishing season ...... setup chair..... cast line ..... sit and take a break..... even more hard work.........*cackle*
- Fire up the grill ! \'Cause huntin , ain\'t catch and release!

-www.torontothebad.com.... help us fight bad gun laws ! boycott toronto!

Tags: