Parker-hale 30-06

Started by WARDEN243, March 12, 2008, 01:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WARDEN243

Looking over the forum, i think i have figured out that the gun i bought is a parker-hale m1200. i will get some photos uploaded asap. what i would like to know is there anywhere i can date the gun using the serial number? and 2 is there any spec sheets out there? the rate of twist [SIZE=-1]Barrel length ect. can't find i whole lot of info with google.. Thank you
[/SIZE]

Brithunter

Hi There,

The serial number has no use for dating the rifle as far as I have been able to find out. However accurate dating of an unaltered rifle is possible using the "Private View" applied during proof by the Birmingham porrf house. This mark is found near the chamber and consists of a couple of letters and a number, sometimes in an circle or oval but mostly arranged around crossed lances. London proof house had no such system luckily Parker-Hale was based in Birmingham.
Go Get them Floyd!

gitano

Hey BH, I was wondering where you've been. Hope everything is going OK on the "eastern front".

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Brithunter

Hi Gitano,

I have been trying to get my own PC sorted out but have about given up on it. Will be taking the newer one down into town to get a new Mother board to re-build it as I already brought a new hard drive then the idea is to lift off the stuff I want to keep from the old IBM and try formating it back to factory specs.

Oh it's snowing here this morning, Easter Sunday and we have a light covering of snow.
Go Get them Floyd!

sakorick

Quote from: Brithunter;76102Hi Gitano,

I have been trying to get my own PC sorted out but have about given up on it. Will be taking the newer one down into town to get a new Mother board to re-build it as I already brought a new hard drive then the idea is to lift off the stuff I want to keep from the old IBM and try formating it back to factory specs.

Oh it's snowing here this morning, Easter Sunday and we have a light covering of snow.

I'm having the same problem....Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

68olds442

Once upon a time I had a Parker-Hale 1200 Super in 8x57. I liked it alot but it duplicated other rifles that I had, like 30-06, so I sold it. Also, the 8x57 had to be handloaded to get the full potential out that chambering. The exception is the steel jacket soft point Norma 196 grain Alaska load. I shot a big Louisiana swamp hog and that bullet went through both shoulders and wasn't even thinking about slowing down.

The action is a commercial 98 Mauser made by Santa Barbara in Spain. They are cast and not forged but are nicely finished/polished and cycle smoothly. The bluing was high gloss and nicely done.

The stock was of the Weatherby style with a raised cheekpiece, a rosewood fore end tip, and a ventilated white-line rubber recoil pad. The grip cap was hard plastic and also had a white-line spacer.

It had a 24" barrel and I suspect that your 30-06 barrel is also 24" in length. I am 99.9% certain that your rate of twist is 1 turn in 10".

The USA distributor was Cortland Line Co. in Cortland, NY but I think they are out of business.

If you ever decide to sell it, please let me know.  Thanks.

68olds442

gitano

Rick ol' buddy! I was hoping you weren't washed away in all the rain in MO. Good to hear from ya.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Alboy

Welcome to the camp 68olds442
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

68olds442

Quote from: Alboy;76249Welcome to the camp 68olds442

Alboy,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I just joined yesterday and have yet to enter my personal info.

I was born and raised in Long Beach, MS and currently reside in Picayune, MS which is about halfway between and slightly north of New Orleans, LA and Biloxi, MS.

This is a great forum. Looking foreward getting involved.

68olds442

Brithunter

Hi All,

Hmmm noticed this :-

QuoteThe stock was of the Weatherby style with a raised cheekpiece, a rosewood fore end tip, and a ventilated white-line rubber recoil pad. The grip cap was hard plastic and also had a white-line spacer.

All the 1200 Supers I have seen and all the P-H litreture I have says the grip caps were Rosewood ............................... they do have a hard plastic diamond inlet into the bottom of the grip cap.

Of course here in the UK we had Kynoch ammo and continental ammunition loading to it's proper specs. In fact I have some Kynoch 154 grain spft point ammo somewhere and yes I have one of those 1200 Supers in 8x57 although the barrel on mine is marked 7.92mm. In fact I happen to think that the 8x57 is more efficient than the 30-06 and yes I happen to have one of them as well. Also a P-H rifle but thsi time it's a model 1100 deluxe.
Go Get them Floyd!

68olds442

Quote from: Brithunter;76570Hi All,

Hmmm noticed this :-

All the 1200 Supers I have seen and all the P-H litreture I have says the grip caps were Rosewood ............................... they do have a hard plastic diamond inlet into the bottom of the grip cap.

Of course here in the UK we had Kynoch ammo and continental ammunition loading to it's proper specs. In fact I have some Kynoch 154 grain spft point ammo somewhere and yes I have one of those 1200 Supers in 8x57 although the barrel on mine is marked 7.92mm. In fact I happen to think that the 8x57 is more efficient than the 30-06 and yes I happen to have one of them as well. Also a P-H rifle but thsi time it's a model 1100 deluxe.

My error. I was going from memory. It was 23 years ago when I had 3 P-H's but sold them long ago.

68olds442

Brithunter

Hi 68olds442,

That's OK with the age of most of these it's entirley possible that someone changed or had changed the grip cap. I am sort of following up on a BSA Hunter in 222 Remington, trying to find one that is in original condition and good condition after 55 years is not as easy as it would first appear. This one has had an extra large grip cap fitted to extent the pistol grip for someone with larger hands.

Then add 23 years passage of time and the memory often drags up what we expect it too and not what really happened. well it does in my case some of the time :Banghead: .
Go Get them Floyd!

Blackjack

Hello All English Rifle Fanciers,

Any one out their own a Parker/Hale "Hussar"? If so can we see some photographs please.

Regards Blackjack AKA Mike [The Limey}

Tags: