323 - 8mm
3 (7.7%)
1 (2.6%)
1 (2.6%)
375 and larger
5 (12.8%)

Total Members Voted: 32

gitano

In another thread, Ol' John just re-stated the obvious:D - "Since the 6.5 is my favorite caliber", and I thought I'd 'stir the pot' a little and post a poll on favorite caliber. Now let's keep our terminology clear here, I'm referring to CALIBER, NOT CARTRIDGE. You'll note in the choices, that there are no listings for a cartridge. That's because this is about CALIBER.

Let's not get ourselves wound up too tight about this. Personally, I find it more and more difficult to 'like' one caliber over another, but this is just good clean fun, so go ahead and take the risk. Pick ONE.

Mine's the 8mm. Although, I'm getting reall 'fond' of the .375... :)

You'll also note that there are some missing calibers - .172, .243, .277, .312, .330, .348, .366 and all of those above .375. The THL poll manager allows only 10 choices so this is what we've got to work with. Apologies to the muzzle loading crowd, for no specific class for ML calibers, but most of them would be in the .375 and larger class.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jay Edward (deceased)

My choice(s) are related to the use of lead and single base or black powder.

22hornet

My .223 Sako will do for about 98% of the hunting I do. Rabbits, foxes, goats, crows and pigs if I take head shots. I have even taken Fallow deer with the 64gn Winchester PP load, but I was VERY sellective with my shots.

Its easy to shoot, accurate, efficient, fairly quiet.

My .308 would come a close second again for the same reasons and if I took rabbits and crows out of the list of game then the .308 would be No. 1.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

RatherBHuntin

Today it's .22, but .308 is maybe it tomorrow.  I wish I could pick two.  The .22 just has so much versatility.  It is easy to double the bullet weight from min to max, VLD bullets, varminters galore, and good for medium game as well.  Rimfire to centerfire cartridges are available.  And it's just fun.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

gitano

Quote from: Jay Edward;75297My choice(s) are related to the use of lead and single base or black powder.

There's not much popularity in calibers below .375" for BP cartridges.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Alboy

In the spirit of voting for the choices you selected only, it is the 223 (22).

It has easily handled everything around here up to and including a 250 lb boar.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

recoil junky

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, lets see. . . . . . . . 22, no .243, no 30 , no 35, AW poop I can't decide. :undecided:

With pdogs and ground sqyirrels coming up, I'd have to say 22 for now. 40 grain pills outa the .222 and the .223's are as fun as it gets.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Paul Hoskins

I'll have to go with the 22 caliber too. They will do anything I need done. Bullet choice is unlimited for me.   ..........Paul H

Hunterbug

RJ, the 30 is the .308 and the 35 is the .358.

I had to go with the .308 with the 338 a close second.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

klallen

I answered in the context of big game hunting and forced to vote for only one, I went with .284 .  Got a heap load of respect for the way the 140 and 160 gr. AB's satisfy my hunting needs and love my .280 AI and 7mm RUM.  Followed closely by .308, .264 and .358, respectively.

gitano

Well, well, well. I must say I am a bit surprised at the .22's showing, but it just goes to show how "where" and "what" affect choices. After looking at these responses, I can see why the .22 is a top choice. At the same time, I would expect that most could see why it wouldn't be a useful a caliber in Alaska where small game is fairly scarce, and most of the big game is on the 'big' side. Interesting to me.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

RatherBHuntin

and also Paul, "Favorite" is not necessarily "Most useful".
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

gitano

Quote from: RatherBHuntin;75366and also Paul, "Favorite" is not necessarily "Most useful".

Youbetcha...

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

In my case, "most useful" is also my reason for choosing the 22 caliber. I have not had need for anything bigger for what I hunt. If the law allowed it, I would defnitely use it for moose but not elk or bigger bear. Dead is dead regardless of what it's shot with.   ............Paul H

Mark R

marktx

Tags: