Bear Shot No. 2

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), March 04, 2008, 09:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

OK... here is a bear with the crosshairs focused on the heart.

So the questions are:

1)  What cartridge would you use for this shot?

2)  If the range is 200 yards... would you take the shot?

3)  How close would you attempt to get to take the shot?

4)  What bullet would you select for your cartridge to get the job done?

Alboy

200 yards

Just so happens my 45-70 falling block is O'ed for that range with 340 grain cast flat points over 3031. She shoots high about 7 inches at 100.

So I have no problem taking the bear now but would try and get closer.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Daryl (deceased)

200 yards?

I'd shoot him where he's at.  7mm mag, 145 grain Speer Grand Slam bullets, hand loaded.

With a handgun, I'd get closer.  A lot closer.  Within 50 yards.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

LvrLover

I assume its a black bear so:
1) My 308 is great.
2) 200 yards dead on, break at least one shoulder if possible cause bears don't bleed well
3) As always - as close as cover allows, but 200 with a rest is a no brainer
4) A 180 gr bonded bullet, maybe a Federal Premium round
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

AZ Shooter Gal

if the bear was feeding i would get closer if possible.

200yd shot is ok, from a rest if possible.

.30-06 Sako with 165/180 grain Partition or A-Frame

or

.308 winchester in my Remington 600, same bullets

rockinbbar

My .338 winny ought to do it from where I sit...

Daryl, Whatcha talking about..."Get closer with a handgun"? :)

I'll just enjoy the view through my scope...:D
Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

Clueless

Most, including me, around here hunt with a hand gun when we're bear hunting.

I carry a 44mag bear hunting.  Unless I'm in Canada.

Course looks like around here there is not going to be a bear season in these parts.  Like last year.:(

Guess I'll be heading east again this year.

I have carried a rifle but a hand gun works so much better.
A mind always employed is always happy. This is the true secret, the grand recipe, for felicity.
Thomas Jefferson

Paul Hoskins

I would use the 22/243 and Barnes triple shock 70 gr. bullets or my home made copper soft points. If terrain and cover permitted I would get as close as possible and wait for a neck shot. BANG!!! PLOP!!! No need to hunt for him.   .......Paul H

davidlt89

I am more than comfortable taking the 200 yard shot off of steady stix. I would use the 7mm mag with 139 gr BTSP. Not much for trying to gain ground on an animal when the shot can be taken as is. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

bowhunter 51

My Ruger 77 in 180 gr should do it braced @ 200 yrds...
My Cva inline with 250 gr R.E.A.L. inside 100 yrds, braced using 80 gr.
triple 7 powder would be more challenging...

A  sharp Muzzy tip't Easton 2216 arrow inside 50 yrds would be the
ultimate thrill/challenge.....................................................................BH51.....
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

gitano

1) What cartridge would you use for this shot? Given "2" below, and some 'magic' that allowed me to select rifle and cartridge after I had spotted the critter, I'd choose the .50 Alaskan 'cause I wanna, not because it's necessary.

2) If the range is 200 yards... would you take the shot? Assuming "3" below isn't an option, I'd not hesitate to shoot now. Bears are 'good', wind can change, and at 200, that's a dead bear.

3) How close would you attempt to get to take the shot? If the opportunity exists, I'd close to within a hundred or so. If you 'fool around' you lose the bear. If you want to "play with your food", you could get close enought to 'count coup'.

4) What bullet would you select for your cartridge to get the job done? Using the .50, I'd be 'loaded for bear' with the 500-grainer.

Personally, if the 200 yds wasn't lasered, and with the Fifty's open sights, I'd be aiming higher than a heart shot. For that matter, since most of my centerfire rifles are sighted in at 100 nowadays, I'd be aiming a bit higher with the .338 MAI too. The existing Point of Aim wouldn't have the bullet hit the off-side shoulder joint - a part of the skeleton's locmotion system I like to disable when I shoot bears.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

baadman28

Tags: