Why reload?

Started by LvrLover, February 24, 2008, 10:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LvrLover

I was at cabelas and gander mt today and looked at reloading components. I was interested in the 44 mag so I found the cheapest stuff I could just for a comparison: 100 casings was $25, 100 240gr JHP were another $25, and 100 primers $4. The last box of 240grJHP ammo(winchester) I bought was about $30 for 50 and it does a great job on whitetails. Thats $60 for 100 rds of loaded ammo, and $54 for components - not counting the powder. Am I missing something here?
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

klallen

Morning LVRLOVER >> Case cost is a deminishing cost, as it's a reuseable component. After initial investment, there's no more cost if you're not regularly destroying cases so ya have to figure that into the equation. Even so, for my go-to .44Mag load, I paid 21 cents per Starline case. My primers cost around 2 cents per. My CP 320 gr. LBT solid costs 43 cents per. A little over 5 cents per charge of H110. That comes to about 71 cents per hand-tailored round compared to 60 cents for your off-the-shelf stuff. For me personally, I gladly pay the extra 11 cents for what a perceive to be a better performing cartridge.

Regardless, I reload for the hobby of it. I love the challenge of matching up components to a rifle or handgun in efforts of achieving a high performing end product. It's personally satisfying hunting and succeeding with something I put together at my bench.

I own a 7.82 Warbird and will concede that in this instance, while the above still applies, I'd have never gotten into the cartridge if reloading was not an option. Latest prices I've seen for a factory box of 20 run anywhere from $99.99 - $104.99 . Pretty easy to see how reloading can cut that cost considerably, even with the use of a high dollar, premium bullet. >> klallen

Daryl (deceased)

klallen nailed it.

Different cartridges will save you different amounts, but if you tailor your loads to your needs, and to the firearm, it'll almost always be better ammo for the job.

About the only time I compare cost is when someone asks for a comparison.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

RatherBHuntin

It can be difficult to beat the price of STANDARD, VANILLA, ORDINARY cartridges such as 9mm, 40 S&W, .45 ACP, .223 and .30-06 but once you start getting out of FMJ loads and into premium stuff, the price savings is significant.  Still, with the cost of ammo these days, if you get used cases either from firing, range pickup (pistol only for me) or buy off ebay, and use lead or plated bullets for practice, the price savings is huge for me.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

LvrLover

I load shotshells and found I can't beat promo loads for price, but any heavy or mag loads I can. Of coarse I got my mec 600jr with a pail of hulls, 2 bags of shot, box of primers and a bag of wads all for $60. Maybe thats what you guys are saying about pistol and rifle too. Do I have to shoot thousands of rounds before I see more savings? I also forgot to throw in the cost of a press and dies and other tools. How long will cases last? Maybe if I looked at larger quantities? Lots of questions. Maybe I am just trying to talk myself into a new piece of gear.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

Daryl (deceased)

lvrlover,

Handloading is a passion that can save you money over time. How much money will depend on what cartridges you load for, what bullets you load, as well as other factors.

If you load premium bullets in new cases, and try to compare the cost to plain vanilla factory loads, it's not going to show much (if any) savings.

Cases last different amounts of time, depending on the cartridge, design, and maker. I like Federal and Starline cases because they've always lasted longer for me.

Straight walled cases usually last longer than bottle necked cases for me. Standard bpttle necked cartridge cases last longer than magnum bottle necked cases.

Lots of variables in this, so there's no set amount of time or money to be saved. It all depends on what you get into.

In truth, you probably won't save a penny.  You'll just shoot more.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

subsonic

Quote from: Daryl;74733In truth, you probably won't save a penny. You'll just shoot more.

+1

BUT, you'll get to shoot more!

If you can find more time....

If I was independently wealthy, I would reload more. I'd have more time!

RatherBHuntin

I've got an awesome spreadsheet that I found somewhere that does a good job of allowing you to show all components and equipment costs and then plug in actual costs of the equivalent facotry load and compare.  Unfortunately it is an Excel spreadsheet which I don't believe I can post here.  If anyone wants a copy I'll email it to them, just ask.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Alboy

For how long a case will last I have 38 special and 357 mag cases I have been reloading since 1970. No telling how many reloads. I never seperated them for hot and mild just loaded what was on my mind. My main source of cases was from buying on sale or cheapies and then reloading after the first shoot off or picking up at the range.

On straight cases you just need to watch for primer hole expansion - will not hold the primer and case splits, destroy and toss when either shows up. I may have had 6 seperations at the base when shooting really hot.

I never count the cost of set up and cases into the comparison of reload to factory. That way the reloads you looked at would be $60 for factory and $29 for reloads. You did not throw away the ones you have already bought have you? Klallen's extreme quality reloads would be 50 cents each.

Most folks start to save money on practice rounds. Then the challenge to make better ammo to fit the weapon and purpose kick in and you can wind up like Klallen where more spent is good because of the quality you are getting, also compare premium ammo prices to premium reloads - you will prrobably still save money.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

gitano

Probably the biggest factor when considering cost alone is the one 'most everyone has already stated...

It depends significantly on the cartridge in question.

.470 NE factory cartridges cost $338 FOR 20 at Midway. That's almost $17 every time you pull the trigger. I can find the identical components and assemble them myself for less than $7 each. That's a big savings as far as I'm concerned.

A fellow I know had a Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70. It cost him $97 for a box of 20 rounds. I told him I could load for his gun at about $1.50 per round if he wanted, using identical components. He chose to sell the rifle. Selling a rifle instead of reloading is a stiff "price" in "comparison" if you ask me.

In my opinion, today's over-the-counter hunting ammunition is the best it has been in my lifetime - about the past 50 years. From what I read, it was not great "in the good ol' days." It is possible to buy some very good factory ammunition today. If monetary savings is your only issue, then unless you're shooting one of the rediculously expensive cartridges, OTC (factory) ammo will serve you well for hunting. Of course if you were a target competitor, you wouldn't be asking the question.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

22hornet

Quote from: gitano;74761A fellow I know had a Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70. It cost him $97 for a box of 20 rounds.
Paul

What sort of 45/70 ammo was he using at cost $97!! That price is pretty step even for OZ!

I reload because;
1/ cost saving - I can reload my hornet (and all my other cals. too) ALOT cheaper than it costs to buy factory rounds.
2/ quality - the ammo I produce is more accurate than anything I can buy off the shelf. Sako .223 with handloads, 12mm at 100mtrs, but then again it is a Sako!!
3/ I can't get factory rounds with the projectile weights I want. I know that ammo makers do produce 125gn .308 and 150gn .303 but they generally don't bring them down to OZ and if they do - the cost!!!!
4/ The simple satisfaction of "rolling my own" ammo rather than using store bought stuff.:biggthumpup:
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

Paul Hoskins

I never thought much about savings when it comes to guns or ammo. Grandpa started me out when I was eight years old and I just thought this was the best route to take because it was good enough for him. If you fool around with "wildcat" cartridges like I do there is no choice but to handload. I can probably load for 100 diffrent cartridges but only load what I need any more. Bullets I used to pay $2.05 a box for now cost 15 to 19 dollars. A lot of that is just a ripoff by the makers and dealers............Paul H

gitano

QuoteWhat sort of 45/70 ammo was he using at cost $97!! That price is pretty step even for OZ!

But not for Alaska, especially when buying "premium" ammo from Wild West Guns. Can .45-70 ammo be had for less in Alaska? Sure. This is what so frustrates me when people start talking about the "value" of "premium" ammo, or the requirement of "premium" ammo if one is to be an "ethical" (ptooey) hunter. Lies and dam lies.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

ForneyRider

My dad's 375H&H is getting to be 60-100$ for 20 rounds.

I can make 100 rounds a lot cheaper than that. So instead of it being a "safe" gun, it is out doing it's job.

My .41 Magnum is hard to find ammo for and was 38$/50 rounds recently.
I got 100 .410 caliber bullets for $20, 100 primers for 3$, re-used the brass, and some H110. 1lb of powder = 20$ = 7000 grains. About 20grains of H110 for the .41mag.

Recently got 500 bullets of .451 cal Hornady 230gr FMJ for 55$. Powder is 4.6grs of W231, 1000 primers for 27$, and free brass from range.

45ACP 230 gr JHP/XTP +P is a lot for 20 rounds. I can make a lot more for less.

Bulk 9mm is pretty cheap. But a friend makes his own lead bullets(recycles them from shooting into a birm) and says he is reloading for pennies each. A penny or so a primer, plus 2-3 cents in powder.

And custom tune them all to my needs.
When all is said and done, there is a lot more said than done.

Chuckger

Quote from: klallen;74711Morning LVRLOVER >> Case cost is a deminishing cost, as it's a reuseable component. After initial investment, there's no more cost if you're not regularly destroying cases so ya have to figure that into the equation. Even so, for my go-to .44Mag load, I paid 21 cents per Starline case. My primers cost around 2 cents per. My CP 320 gr. LBT solid costs 43 cents per. A little over 5 cents per charge of H110. That comes to about 71 cents per hand-tailored round compared to 60 cents for your off-the-shelf stuff. For me personally, I gladly pay the extra 11 cents for what a perceive to be a better performing cartridge.

Regardless, I reload for the hobby of it. I love the challenge of matching up components to a rifle or handgun in efforts of achieving a high performing end product. It's personally satisfying hunting and succeeding with something I put together at my bench.

I own a 7.82 Warbird and will concede that in this instance, while the above still applies, I'd have never gotten into the cartridge if reloading was not an option. Latest prices I've seen for a factory box of 20 run anywhere from $99.99 - $104.99 . Pretty easy to see how reloading can cut that cost considerably, even with the use of a high dollar, premium bullet. >> klallen

You nailed it my friend!!  I killed my first deer with a hand load last year and I have to say it was an outstanding feeling.  THere is nothing like it.  The reason I got into it is because I live about 15 miles outside of town and I shoot alot.  It is nice to be able to come home from work, work up 40 rounds and go out and hunt yotes and jacks with out having to stop by and get ammo at the store.  It is also a great hobby.  Some times I will sit in from of my press until I run out of one component, usually most of a Saturday.  I also reload for .204, .222, .223, 22-250, .308, 300 RUM, 32 Win Special, and .45 Auto so in the long run I am saving alot of cash.

Chuck

Tags: