Binoculars

Started by davidlt89, February 07, 2008, 05:43:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

I have been giving this subject a lot of thought lately, due to the fact I don't own a good pair. I have done some research, but would like to hear from the guys in the field who really rely on a good set of binoculars. I would say my main interest is for them not to fog up. we get some cold temps in november and every pair I have will fog the minute they go to my eyes. Does anyone own any that actually do not fog up? I certainly don't want to spend 3-4 hundred dollars on a pair of binoculars, but it would seem I should not have to to get a fogproof pair.  Also, I know some of you guys are looking some long distances when you stalk. What is the maximum power you find you can use without having to put them on a bipod? Any and all opinions are welcomed, God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Brithunter

Hi David,

I wear eye glasses so have to have binos that allow for this. The ones I brought several years ago are a pair of Viking 8x44 waterproof binos. I also do a bit of bird Watching and use them for that and actually brought then from the shop at was was my local RSPB reserve.
Go Get them Floyd!

subsonic

I'm very happy with my Nikon Action binos. 8x power, 40mm objectives.

I think they were right around $75.

Look at some and compare them to others that are in the $300 range. You'll see what I mean. Don't just look at stuff that's far away. Pay attention to the field of view.

My only complaint is that they are heavy and big. Can't have everything for $75 I guess!:biggthumpup:

Paul Hoskins

David, I'm not keen on binoculars. Have several pairs of cheap binos. that are only used ocassionally. Keep an old pair in the dining room just to look at birds and such out the window. Can't see out of the left eye very well any more even with binoculars. For hunting I carry a small set of cheapies in my pocket just to check something I can't figure out with my old eyes and glasses. Never had any problems with them fogging up.   .............Paul H

sakorick

My compact Minolta's don't fog up. I've had them for years and they go everywhere with me. If I had the money, I would buy the Zeiss mid range binos....I need to hit the lottery! Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

davidlt89

QuoteDon't just look at stuff that's far away. Pay attention to the field of view.

Good advice, I often use them even when I am in the woods just to try and pick things up.

Mine are all cheapies too, I think one pair cost 8.00. When november hits and it gets cold (below freezing) there is a 100% chance of fogup. very fustrating to take them out and try to scope a field and have them fog up in 10 seconds. I would like a pair of 12x, lots of times, deer just hang on that edge waiting for a little more darkness here. Usually takes the glass to be able to pick them out. I have also pondered the idea if a 40mm pair, should bring in more light, correct?. I usually just strap them around me, so size is not much of a factor. I am usually sitting also, so not like I am lugging them around.

QuoteI need to hit the lottery!

You ain't kidding. The price on some of these are outrageous. I think there is a point where I can't tell the difference between the clarity anyway.[/SIZE]

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

RatherBHuntin

I've heard the Monarch ATBs are great, and run about $240.  We've got some Steiners at the camp that everyone likes too.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Daryl (deceased)

Well, for less than the $300-$400 price range I can't help you, so I'll leave that up to others to advise on.

As far as what power is comfortable without a tri-pod, 10x is about the max for comfortable viewing for me. I have a pair of Leupold/Wind River bino's in 10x that work pretty well for me.

I can use a set of 15x Zeiss bino's that I have without the aid of a tri-pod, but I have to be sitting with my elbows on my knees, or rested against something for good viewing. It's way better with a tri-pod.

Anything above that power, I use a spotting scope and tri-pod.  There's just no way to use that much magnification without a good support.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

subsonic

Since the human eye has about a 7mm exit pupil.....magnification x 7 = the most objective diameter your eye can use.

With 8x, 56mm is ideal. Anything more than 56mm is not really useful - just more glass to haul around.

My 8x40mm binos work pretty well at dusk as it is.

Gmoney

Like Daryl, I've also got the Wind Rivers but mine are 8x42's...

For long glassing and searching these are about perfect as the field of view is very nice...
After NM this year I will say that the need for "Big Eyes" say a 12x would have been nice but then you have to lug them around as I'll never be without my 8x42's...
-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

noel

David; bushnell has the elite binoculars now,with rainguard and antifog.same coated lens as their scopes for light transmission.I don't know any prices off hand ,but probably expensive. www.Bushnell.com  .....Noel
Better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it!
member;National Fiirearms Assocciation
Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
gun owners of Canada
North American Hunting Club

davidlt89

QuoteI've heard the Monarch ATBs are great, and run about $240

Sounds doable

QuoteI can use a set of 15x Zeiss bino's that I have without the aid of a tri-pod, but I have to be sitting with my elbows on my knees, or rested against something for good viewing. It's way better with a tri-pod.

thats one thing I was wondering. Good information. thats why I thought 12x would be good without a rest. I know 10x are.

QuoteDavid; bushnell has the elite binoculars now,with rainguard and antifog.same coated lens as their scopes for light transmission.I don't know any prices off hand ,but probably expensive. www.Bushnell.com .....Noel

I priced them out and the 8x started at 959.00. tad high for me, but you are right, they are very nice.

I am only thinking of going a little higher than 10x because I had a deer this year that I could not see the horns on. it was at 354 yards and the little fellas horns went down along his head. it was not until it went in the woods did I know for sure there were horns (when he turned back to me). I would like to have as much power as possible and be able to hold them without any rests.

thanks everyone for the information, it has been very helpful. God Bless.

sambubba

Go to  cameralandny.com and get the phone # and ask for Doug.  He is probably the most knowledgeable optics dealer there is and his customer service is great.  He won't try to sell you something you can't afford, and he will tell you the best buy in your price range. Hundreds of folks over at 24hourcampfire.com will tell you the same thing.

Tags: