Looking for a rifle

Started by ToadHill, February 03, 2008, 02:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToadHill

A little background:
I hunted deer for years with a 12 gage Ithica then quit hunting for over 20 years.  I took up hunting again about 5 years ago but use nothing but a muzzleloader.

The area I hunt in has just allowed rifles starting 2 years ago and I am in the market for a good deer gun.  I think I want to go with a 270 or a 308 but I need some advice about what to look for.  A long shot would be 200 yards.

I'd like to keep the cost to no more that about $600 if possible.

The only rifles I have ever used are a .222 Sako, a .22 Marlin and an old Marlin.32 that I got from my great grandfather.

I appreciate any advice you can give.

RatherBHuntin

My money would go towards a Savage if it were me.   A Model 10 GXP whihc is their package deal will get you set up and out the door for right about $600 if not less.  If you want to get your own scope and go that route a Model 14 Classic or American Classic would be the ticket, though the price is gonna be just over $700 most likely with a quality scope.  Yep, I would go .308 in any of those.  The Savage centerfire bolt guns are extremely hard to beat by anyone short of the custom gun makers.  The Accutrigger is a dream and will let you shoot much more accurately whether it's offhand or from a rest.  The barrells are known for being accurate and consistent.  

It's where I would spend my money.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Jay Edward (deceased)

Quote from: ToadHill;73447I took up hunting again about 5 years ago but use nothing but a muzzleloader.

The area I hunt in has just allowed rifles starting 2 years ago and I am in the market for a good deer gun.

:undecided:

subsonic

Choice of a rifle is a very personal thing.

There really aren't too many "bad" choices for a deer rifle. Are there any other things you're looking for in a gun? Light? Heavy? Super accurate? Nice wood? Blued? Stainless? Synthetic? Sights? No sights? Auto? Bolt? Single shot? Pump? Lever?....?

Myself, if I was going to pick a whitetail only gun for up to 200yds, I'd probably get a Ruger Frontier rifle in .260 or .308.... but any non-magnum cartridge it comes in would work - and non-magnum only because I don't need the power or recoil in a 200yd deer gun.

Do you need this gun to be dual purpose for Elk? Coyote? Varmints? Plinking? Plan to shoot a lot?

Depending on the laws of your state, you *could* hunt deer with a .222 or .32 Winchester Special (if that's the kind of .32 you're talking about).

LvrLover

In my family there is only one cartridge for deer. The .308 Winchester. My grandpa used it , my father, 2 uncles , my brother, my wife, and I all use that great round. It's not so powerfull that it destroys a lot of meat if you are off a bit in shot placement, but has plenty of power to dust a deer out to as far as a sane person would shoot at a live animal. It isn't a heavy recoiling round and is easy to find anywhere ammo is sold. That is one of the things that I like the most about it. It has been used as amilitary round for over 50 years so there is plenty of demand for the round. As for your rifle, get the best deal you can on a new or used rifle in your choice of action and brand, then spend as much as you can on a good quality scope. A bad scope makes a good rifle worthless, and a good scope will help all but the worst rifle. All that being said, don't overlook a 30-30 Winchester or Marlin. For 200 yards or less they will do just fine and they(and the ammo) are pretty inexpensive - especially bought used.
"Live free or die: death is not the worst of evils." General John Stark

noel

nowdays,under 200 yards you almost need to consider the twelve gauge with sabot slugs too!with a rifled barrel and a good scope they make a deadly gun.I bought a 535moss with a rifled barrel and put a 3200 elite on top.shoots groups of three on a cigarette pack past 100 and some claim they'll still do it at 150.I didn't try it that far yet.too many choices,p/h 300 winmag,mdl94 32spl,the mossberg and an old 303brit!eenie meenie
Better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it!
member;National Fiirearms Assocciation
Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
gun owners of Canada
North American Hunting Club

davidlt89

Possibitlities are endless here my friend. I would say with a price tag of 600.00, you have a lot of choices. I agree with Glenn on the savage, they have built a good rep, and after having owned one, I can vouch for the accuracy, at least the rifle I had. I am a remington fan, so I would steer you that way. Go out and pick some up if you have that luxury and "feel" them. Shopping and comparing is very exciting. I use a rem 700 XCR, but you would not want to make a choice just from what I use. I like "all" guns. Hard to find a bad manufacturer. Mossberg is making some pretty good rifles called ATR 100's. they are getting a good rep for durability and accuracy. You can also buy one for a little over two hundred dollars. Saves you some money for a good piece of glass. Now caliber, in my opinion, anything from a .243 to 30-378 is fine. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

ToadHill

Subsonic:  The marlin .32 was made in 1914 and it uses .32 colt or colt long.  I don't think the .32 colt has enough power to down a deer and the .32 colt long are out of production.  I have one box of them but thats all, and they are probably 25 years old.  I could hunt with the .222 but again, I love the gun for varmints but I don't feel comfortable using as a deer gun.

Someone I know suggested I look at the Tikka 308, anyone know anything about them.  I made a list from all the suggestions and will head to the gun center before the end of this week.

RatherBHuntin

If you decide your looking at too much money, check on a Stevens, basically a generic Savage minus the accutrigger.

and though I wouldn't presume to speak for Jay Edwards, it looks like he thinks your ok with what you have...no need to improve upon the muzzleloader.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

gitano

QuoteI'd probably get a Ruger Frontier rifle in .260 or .308.

Ditto...

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

Best thing to do is go to the websites and do some homework on the specifi caliber you are looking for. Most manufacurers don't offer every caliber in every model, or there are so many varients that you will be dumbfounded when you go to the gunshop. $600 will get you into a pretty good rifle these days, but if this is going to be "the rifle" I'd spend a few more $'s and go with a higher end rifle like a Sako. That being said I've heard alot of good things about the CZ's. Nice looking wood, very well made, very accurate and not expensive. I was looking at one just yesterday and if I wasn't such a  Remington fan I'd  have probably bought it. (I got the Remington)

The best thing to do is go try on as many different rifles as you can in the caliber you like. They will all have a different feel and one might feel just oh so good when you pul it up to your shoulder. As for caliber, the .308 would be hard to  beat. It'll take anything up to elk sized game with a well placed shot and ammo (if you don't reload) will be less expensive and easier to come by than anything else except maybe 30-06. Recoil from a .308 is not unpleasant, even with heavier bullets.

Just a few tips. Hope they help you out.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

subsonic

I can't complain about my CZ550....  it's a great rifle!

Tags: