mother nature is no "sportsman"

Started by buckshot roberts, November 26, 2007, 10:49:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckshot roberts

(thats fer sure)
:sleeping: With the Ol' alarm clocks warning......... It's squirrel hunt'en time Yea-Haw... we'll just jump right out of bad and go..........ya right we'll be real slow about getting out of bad...an walk down the hall with one hand along the wall to stady us ... man it's 4 am... with one eye open we stop by the bathroom and take are multivitamin abd head to the kitchen.. yep it's going to be a two cup morning... :biggthumpup: put one cup under the coffee maker and pour whats in the pot into the other one........drink coffee while ya look for the remote.... check the weatherman...it's to be a nice sunny day around the low 40's... I never can under stand why I listen to these guys...well I'll dress in my mossey oak jeans and long sleeve t-shirt and my old army sweather and army wool jeep cap...It's funny how your pets don't get out of bed until you got the grub on... and after making a big southwestern oumelet with honey ham and cheese..all on texas toast... man this well last until noon...checking my gear... box of federal heavy field loads, water.. ect...man I'm forgetting something O' well... I got this old Savage model 775A a few weeks back I'm looking to try out today... in 12,ga with the old savage super choke system on it that was a hit about 50 years ago.. well I'm loaded up and the plan is to be in the woods before down.. that plan is going south as pull out the driveway.. yep with cows and such on the road.... it's geeting light a few miles away...
I'm hunting in one of the management areas that was a large farm at one time.

on the way in this Ol' groundhog takes it on himself to stand by the road........ if he only knew how many of his kin I've eat'en....

once I get to the parking area... it's all foot travel from here.... I scouted this area back in the late summer.. my plan is to take some of the deer trails around the old crop fields and hunt for squirrels in the hard woods.... while crossing one of the fields I come across a dead doe... we just hand black powder last week...maybe someone just didn't take the time to look for her.....

I find a trail leading in to the brush.... when hunting these old farms be very careful and look out for old fence wire....

your always hearing about hunters getting seriously hurt by trying to cross ouver fences with a shotgun in hand... it's just so easy to do this..............
after taking one of these trails for a while I come out of the brush and find these two deer rub's...

" hay" it's bow hunting only here.....but no squirrels..... I take it on around this hill side and it turns in to a group of acorn tree's.... I set up.... looking around at any movement.. whats that... a bird..... I see movement out of my right eye.... it's two fox squirrels running down a tree... but before I can get my shotgun up I've lost them in the tall brush.... after about a half hour i see nothing more and move on I find another trail and come out by this very old farm house back in all this brush...........

lets have a look see..... some hunters has used it not long ago.......................as a blind  maybe

On past the house I see group of large acorns.... and find these cutting

and set up......

by this time I've lost the sun and it's getting a little dark.. I lost the one over my head :undecided: but I see another on in this very large tree  a few trees over from me.... move from tree to tree and as I look at this tree there is something funny about it.... we have squirrel chow'en down... I can see her run out on the branch.... now to get her to stop... I pick up two acrons an tap them against each other.... trying to sound like another squirrel eat'en.... and it works she stops to see were the other squirrel is..."BANG"...Iwalk over to get her and step back and look at this tree and see whats been troubling me about it... has been split open at one time.. by lighting?

now it's getting a little more darker... I look at my timex.. it's just around noon.... now the winds picking up also.... now I have thunder... not so good.... now lighting in the back ground........ I can here the rain coming.... I'm up out of here.... I get up into a field and look back.....

not so good.......that rains a moving..... now I'm out in an open field with thunder and lighting....(Dang" I forgot my rain gear...) I know here is on old barn at the end of this one field...

Man that thunder.... well make a man jump.... and the lighting sure lit the place up.... move over mice..... I set that thunder storm out for over 3 hours.... just setting in that dark barn.. it was kind of spook'ee... ya know.... after it's over with.... I work a few tree groves and the way back...

The rain must have run in all the squirrels... I don't see any more.....

anyone know anything about mushrooms..............
I can move around these woods and not make a sound... I ran upon these two on the other side of a field.....

and this one also..........

after crossing this field...... two does were coming out... if ya can zoom in you'll find them

they are around the two trees......

they saw me.....
also when hunting around these old home's and farms' look out for old water wells....

man they can be very deep.....

here comes the rain again..... not to self... remember to check for rain coat..... I'm going to get it this time........
another note to self remember to put lage trash bags in car... for when you don't remember first note... to keep car set from getting wet... and I get it to.... like being in a car wash......

Now when it lets up I'll drive the 25 miles home very wet.... and when I get back the suns out very funny mother nature.....

Look's like the ol' squirrels dry'en I am.... were the hair dryer.... Ron

We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

RatherBHuntin

Very cool story Ron, and great pics.  You aint kidding about htem wells, I would hate to stuble into one of them in the dark.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

bowhunter 51

Great story, Ron....very eventful day, looks like.....Really enjoyed the
pics.....You done got your hands on a pretty good camera....
Them mushrooms, ain't mushrooms....Can't call the name of it
right off hand but you don't wanna eat it for sure.....
Pretty country...Trees in color...Great pics.......................BH51...........
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

Hunterbug

Hey Ron, it's good to see you back posting again. Thoes are some nice pics. I'd like to see one of the whole shotgun. It looks like you had a good time and filled the pot to boot.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

scoper-uk

Great day out Ron, i see you folks have the same weather as us English, i was there with you fella, keep em coming,

tn.varmit

Wow! sounds like one memorable hunt.  somethin to reflect on while jest a settin around or sumthin to wish you were doing while workin.  Great pics and may you enjoy many more hunts.

gitano

Nice essay Ron. Love to hear about squirrel hunting.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Good story Ron, been there meny times myself. Brings back good memories. I love squirrel hunting with the Ruger 10/22 and subsonic hollow points. Did you ever accidentally bump into a bald hornets nest or sit on a yellow jackets nest while squirrel hunting? Really adds excitement to the hunt.  ..........Paul H

buckshot roberts

:eek: "yep" I seem to find those when I don't want to.... that is why I use my old bug suit in the eary fall.. Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

rabbitrunner

Thanks for sharing. Almost as good as a day in the field.

kombi1976

Great story, Ron.
Do you just use the skins or do you actually eat the meat too?
I've heard it's pretty nasty.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Paul Hoskins

Kombi, I have never heard anyone say squirrel meat is nasty or taste bad. I love squirrel no matter how it's cooked. Squirrel dumplings are better than chicken dumplings to me. My favorite is fried squirrel. Most everyone I know throws the skins away. .............Paul H

gitano

I have heard people mean-mouth the taste of squirel, but it has always been some urban yankee, or some Hollywood idiot that wouldn't know a squirrel from a elephant. I lived on squirrel pie for a couple of years while attending college. Also, when I was a youngster, Mepps, of fishing lure fame, used to pay ten cents for every squirrel tail you sent them. I sent them many a tail, and they sent back money. It always bothered me - no too much though - that there wasn't much one could do with squirrel skins. Native Alaskans use arctic ground squirrel skins (Spermophilus parryii) for leggings.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

buckshot roberts

:biggthumpup: kombi1976......... they are very good eat'n..... the skin's I'll give to hunters who want to use the to train squirrel dog's.........
Paul I did the same with fox skins........ made a lot of money while in high school...........I bet those legg'n look cool........Ron

davidlt89

QuoteI have never heard anyone say squirrel meat is nasty or taste bad.

I can't bring up the pictures on the computer I am on, but i am assuming it is the Gray squirrel you are eating? I don't know much about squirrels, we have very few grays and they are all in town, can't find one in the woods. We do have an over abundance of the brown. I will say, those are not worth eating. God Gless.[/B]
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Tags: