need info for 6.5 300 weaherby wildcat

Started by randy, November 24, 2007, 03:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randy

I need loading data and ballistics and case forming information on a 6.5 300 weather by wildcat Please foreword information to my e-mail mahael7574@embarqmail.com[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Thank You Randy W. sorry i posted in wrong place frist time newby

sakorick

Quote from: randy;69128I need loading data and ballistics and case forming information on a 6.5 300 weather by wildcat Please foreword information to my e-mail mahael7574@embarqmail.com
Thank You Randy W. sorry i posted in wrong place frist time newby

Hello Randy and welcome to the forum. Frankly, I have never heard of a 6.5-300 Wby so I can't help you. Perhaps you could give a better description of this wildcat??? Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

I can give you some generic info on the 6.5x300 Weatherby, and some specific info in the context of a 7x300 Weatherby, which I had built and still own. It's a long story, and I'll spare you and the others here the gory details. In short, it was my first wildcat, and I built it specifically to hunt Dall sheep. It became my "go to" rfile for many years, replacing a 7mm Rem Mag. It in turn was replaced by a .338 Win Mag.

If you haven't already, I would encourage you to look very carefully before "leaping" here. I assure you that there's nothing the 6.5x300 Weatherby can do that a variety of other 6.5 cartridges (like the .264 Win Mag) can't do, and they'll do it cheaper and with less hassle.

I chose the 7x300 Weatherby because it won the 1000yd match and set a new 1000 yd world record (in 1978 if I remember correctly). However, after having gone through the process, I know absolutely and by first-hand knowledge that there's nothing the 7x300 can do that a 7mm Rem Mag can't do with a similar-length barrrel.

If this is your first wildcat, then by all means press on. The 6.5x300 is a fine cartridge to cut your wildcatting teeth on. If you're like me, you'll learn a great deal. But.... don't imagine, and don't lie to yourself and others, that you're going to get "the ultmate weapon". (That's what I called the 7x300 I had until I took it on a coastal brown bear hunt). If you wanna do it, then do it and learn from it.

If on the other hand, you're long in the tooth with wildcats, and are simply looking for "something to do" and know what you're getting into, then go get 'em! Wildcatters are what keep the life's-blood flowing in the firearms industry.

What I need from you if you want QuickLoad-derived reloading data is:

Bullet you want to use
Seating depth you want to use
Barrel length you intend to use
Powder you want to use

As for making cases, nothing could be easier. Buy the .300 Weatherby brass, and simply use a 7mm Rem Mag neck-sizer die to reduce the neck to 7mm; then use the .264 Win Mag neck-sizer die to reduce it to .264. Nothing else is required. Load the bullets and fire at will. After initial sizing, you'll be able to use the .264 Win Mag die for all subsequent neck resizing.

If you haven't already commited resources to this project, you might consider using the .270 Weatherby case as a parent for a 6.5 wildcat. I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts that you'd be more satisfied with the outcome. However, it's neither my 'style' or intent to talk you out of your plan. Quite the contrary actually.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Hello Randy....if you ever come back here......... The 7mm-300wby is a viable wildcat. The 6.5 is not. It makes not a wit as the 7mm STW duplicates or exceeds your wildcat. No offense, however, it seems to me when there is already a SAMMI caliber, why would you want to fiddle???? It appears to be a huge waste of powder to me........Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

klallen

Hey RANDY  >>  No help here but I do know Layne Simpson did a whole series of cartridges based on his STW case.  A .264 offering was among them.  This would be a similar creature to your .264/300WbyMag .  Shooting Times has had several write-up's over the years regarding this line and I know data for the .264 STW was included.  I had the darn issue at one time but can't seem to fine it in all my back-issues.  If you could somehow do an internet search or get your hands on the right issue, that'd give you a decent place to start things off.  Good luck to ya.  >>  korey

gitano

It's true that the STW series of cartridges duplicates the .300 Weatherby wildcats. Primarily because the 8mm Rem Mag case capacity - now referred to as the Shooting Times Western case - is almost identical to the .300 Weatherby. As such, the 7mm version provides much more "access" with much less hassle than the .300 Weatherby version. Nonetheless, each to his own, and good luck with what ever you choose to do.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: