Poaching!!

Started by davidlt89, October 23, 2007, 04:19:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

I went hunting with a good friend this weekend. We loaded up the truck at 0 dark thirty and went after some grouse for the day. Now some of our hunting consists of riding in the truck down old tote roads so there is some time to fellowship and talk about whatever we want to. Deer season is coming up this weekend so that was one of our topics. My friend has lived in maine all his life but has never shot a buck. I have had him hunt with me the last couple years on some family land in hopes that he may break the ice. I am always looking for more land to hunt, and around his parents house are acres and acres of private land. Has I got to thinking, I asked him if there were deer there, and he replied there was but there is a great amount of poaching going on so it made no sense to go since these poachers clean it out in august. I was kinda disturbed by that. I asked him if he has ever dropped a dime on these two guys and he did not say much. His father is also a police detective and he has not dropped the dime either. These guys are just poaching at thier will and getting away with it. How do you guys feel about this subject? If you knew people who were ruining your hunting and doing it illegally, would you not drop a dime in a heart beat? Or do you feel it is the wardens job to catch them. I am interested to find out some other points of views on this subject. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Gunslingergirl

Personally, I would notify the proper authorities.  Wardens can't be everywhere.  If you know poaching is happening, particularly if it is ruining your chance to hunt legally, why wouldn't you stop it?
We still do not know one-thousandth of one percent
of what nature has revealed to us.
Albert Einstein

Daryl (deceased)

I have no friends who are criminals/poachers.

The local game warden is a friend of mine, along with several friends who are deputies for Cochise County Sheriff's Office.  I have their home and cell phone numbers.

So, what do you think I'd do?

Poachers are criminals in my mind; turn 'em in.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

bowhunter 51

Poaching used to be a problem here in west Tennessee, some time
ago....not so much now, I believe....I think there are exceptions to
all rules and if I were to stumble upon someone taking game in a
time of family need...I'd probably turn my head the other way, even
if it occured on my own ground.....Otherwise I would report it......
Some disrespectful thrill seekers will shine deer, shoot them and
leave them lay just for fun:stare: ...............................BH51.................................
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

queen of the woods

I caught a poacher on my land the day before dove season opened back in August.  This guy is known for poaching and everybody that hunts around him acts like they are scared of him or something.  I ain't scared!  His a@# went to jail when I caught him.  Then his Daddy started making threats against me.  I called the sheriff and the sheriff told the Daddy he would go to jail if he didn't leave me alone.  

I then went and bought me  38 special that I keep with me at all times.  He was just so mad that a girl put him in jail.  

I have talked to the game wardens and told them if I could catch him they should be able too.  I do not tolerate poachers.  It is my land and I rented 160 acres for $3,000.  He is not going to come in there and kill the deer 3 months before the season opens.  NO WAY!

So, drop a dime for sure.
I\'d rather hunt with Dick Chaney than ride with Ted Kennedy

davidlt89

Just to clarify, I know what I am going to do once I have a little more information. You guys don't need to sell me. I'm just wondering what everyones thoughts are since I cannot figure out my friends reasoning at this time. God Bless.

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

queen of the woods

Quote from: davidlt89;67887Just to clarify, I know what I am going to do once I have a little more information. You guys don't need to sell me. I'm just wondering what everyones thoughts are since I cannot figure out my friends reasoning at this time. God Bless.

Is he scared of the poachers? Maybe he figures since guns are involved he doesn't want to say anything.  
I\'d rather hunt with Dick Chaney than ride with Ted Kennedy

drinksgin (deceased)

Sounds like a case of , friends, relatives or baddies.
Which ever, I would get rid of them, don't want baddies around at all.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

I've heard the poaching excuse before. Whenever game is sparse and the cause is unknown, vague, or politically incorrect, "poachers" are blamed.

Frankly, it is inconceivable to me that his father is a police detective AND he likes to hunt, and he hasn't done something about what is described as blatant, repeated illegal behaviour. I will acknowledge that there is a great deal of petty, small-time crime in the Northeast, (upstate NY was still rife with small-time mafia in the mid-70s), and so his father may be 'turning a blind eye' because he knows the people doing it. By the same token, in my mind, it's just as likely that the actual amount of "poaching" is significantly less that supposed.

I was a sworn Peace Officer for the state of Alaska for 12 years. I do not share the opinion that "poaching" - unless perpetrated by commercial interests - is a "heinous" crime. While my daily activities were not related to enforcement, I still had occassion to intervene in poaching situations. I let more than one "poacher" go with only a warning.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

On this matter, I would take the view of our late Game District Sergent. If the family needs table fare I would turn a blind eye to the activity. I would have to know the family's situation first. I have spent enough time in Maine over the past twenty some years to know there is familys that are in finincial straits. A man trying to feed a hungry family can't be faulted with poaching. The state doesn't own the game nor does the property owner.  .............Paul H

Daryl (deceased)

Paul,

Actually, who owns the game may depend on the state.

According to Arizona law, Arizona DOES own the game.  After all, if the animals are to survive, then someone has to be responsible for their management.  Without laws and seasons on game, there'd likely be very little game, if any.  At one time, all elk in Arizona had been killed off.  Through re-introducing them, and proper management, they're back and running strong.  Arizona's Kiabab also stands as an example.  They banned all hunting in that area once, and the animals nearly all starved to death because of there being too many of them.

That said, I can understand some people's thoughts about a family in need.  Still, my decision would depend on the area.  Where I'm at, deer are few and far between, and it's getting worse each year.  Poaching has become common, and it's getting hard to even find a deer any more.  They're still out there, but you really have to look, and you'd best look far from roads.

If, as stated in the first post, the poachers are cleaning out an area, I hardly think it's to feed a needy family.  If they're killing off that many deer, then something needs to be done about it.

As I said before, I'd turn them in and let the law sort it out.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

davidlt89

Interesting!!!!!! There are families up here that do kill deer to eat, frankly, that does not bother me. The gentlemen that are shooting deer around my friends house, not in dire need of deer meat. I believe they are more interested in big racks since that is all they gun for. But, that is why I would like to get some more information. My friends father who is the police detective is a very good man and is the best at his job around here. I have driven in a truck with him and his son going hunting and listen to him repeatedly nag is son who was driving 5 mph over the speed limit. I would like to know his reasoning for allowing the situation to go on first. I do believe we have to stand up and come forward. We have about 7-8 wardens for our county and the northmaine woods alone is bigger than connecticut and rhode island. These guys need help period!!!!!!

Queen,
   I don't believe it has anything to do with guns. Guns up here are rarely used for anything other than hunting.

Paul Hoskins

Daryl, I can understand your reasoning but I just can't see where any state owns wildlife regardless of what the law says. The elk herd in Ky. was descimated many years ago but with the reintroduction a few years ago, we now have the largest elk population of any state east of the Miss. river. The deer herd was in about the same shape but now we have deer running out our ears in the northern third of the state to the point of being outright pest. The regulations on deer here is more or less wide open during season but hunters can't or won't make a dent in them. Poachers surely won't either. Maybe this bluetongue disease will give us some relief. There is a one buck limit but does are wide open with no limit as long as you buy the doe permits. Deer have actually got out of hand here. I'm afraid the same will happen with our elk population. It is headed that direction anyway. I can also understand David's concern because there isn't that many deer in the northern portion of Maine. I wish he had our problem, not that I wish anything bad on anyone. Posting pictures taken in my back yard yesterday in the middle of the day just 25 yards from my back door.. ..............Paul H

bowhunter 51

You can wish your deer over-population on me, down here in
West Tennessee, Mr. Paul Hoskins...I don't mind:) ...BH51........
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

unknown_one

I knew a guy that bought just about everyone in his family an elk tag. He got caught when he filled his sister's tag without her being there.

No more hunting or guns for him. Ever. A nice outcome if you ask me.

Tags: