Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GUNS & AMMO > FIREARMS & OPTICS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Brno Model 601 std in .308 Win.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:25 PM
Senior Family Member

Brithunter is on a distinguished road
Default Brno Model 601 std in .308 Win.

Hi All,

In another thread Sav17 and I were discussing the Brnos which are now known as the CZ-Brno. This is the older model 601 and was made in 1994 according to the proof mark :-

Out of the box it has the straight Sett trigger which I do not like the look of so I fitted the std curved one, the sett trigger works well but it looks awful to my thinking it also has some poly varnish type finish which find slippery so a little while after I brought it this finish was stripped off and I used a Warthog Purdeys kit 9 no longer made it seems ) to re-finish the wood with this oil finish, it was not the aim to quite get the Best london finish, however it got close possibly too close as this real shiney finish is not my normal choice. However it seems to be hard wearing and although very smooth is not slippery so I left it as is. Also made up the barrel band to hold the front swivel as the std fitment in the fore end was right where my left hand wanted to be some day I must get around to filling the hole it left

The scope is a Deutche 6x42 which is not bad, it has Zeiss lenses but the whole thing is assembled in the Far East somewhere or some I am told, anyway it has served me well mounts are steel Hilvers and can be removed and yet return to zero when replaced. Hmm I cannot remember if I checked if the iron sights are on for the loads I am using must do that. Loads used in it consist of a Speer 165 grn flat based spitzer, but recently I am trying out lighter bullets and have tried a couple of combinations using the Hornady 130 Grn spire Points, one load did reasonable the other was dire so today I loaded up some more to try out using a 135 grn Sierra spitzer that I had laying about and we will see what they shoot like using H335 powder and Rem 9 1/2 primers in Winchester brass.

So there you go Richie, I will try to get some better photos of it some day soon. The tiger stripping does not show very well in these .