Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GUNS & AMMO > RELOADING

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Range report
Old 08-27-2006, 11:35 AM
Senior Family Member

Brithunter is on a distinguished road
Default Range report

Well the weather held but the wind was brisk. This is not too much of a problem at the club range due to the way the small range is built:-

As you can see it's banked up either side which provides a wind break. Behind the firing point facing the opposite way is the 25 meter pistol range so the backstop for that provides a wind break from that direction .

Today I took 3 rifles to try out:-

CZ ZKK 601.308
P-H 1100 deluxe .30-06
P-H 1200V 6mm

The .308 was up first, the new load with the Speer 150 grn RN prooved to be not as good as I had hoped producing groups of 1 1/2" However I had put soem old 165 grn loads also using Reloader 15 into the range bag and so tried them.

The stray is from a Factory 180 Grn Win Silver Tip which this rifle hates. It spread them in a wide group .

As you can see they are more than adequte so 165 grn bullets it is from now on The shot low left with the Speer 165 grn was caused by a fellow club member with a darned Muzzle break the 3 shots in one hole I am very happy with, pity I could not calm down and get #4 in with them .

The 165 rn Nosler BT is a sterling performer. Yes sakorick I know you said try them however these were loaded back in November 2005. Now it was with a one of these Nosler BT's that I shot my first Roe Buck the Speer 165's were loaded in March 2005.

The 30-30 did not like the Speer 150 Grn RN loads I had made up either producing a 9 shot group of 3 1/2". I fouled the bore first with a 155grn A-Max load as I had two cartridges left over with these bullets in them. At the end of the group I fired the remaining A-max load and well guess what?.................... it went 1/4" above dead center . So at least I have an accurate load for the 30-06. I seem to recall they grouped quite well too.

The P-H 1200V which has been driving me nuts is now behaving much better. Seems that the old Pecar 4-10x45 has some issues so a quote from Pecar for overhaul will be sort .

The loads still need refining and I got a nice tight 1/2" group and a couple of 1" groups. A better scope optically would help. This old Japanese one I hauled out of a drawer is not that clear but it did proove that the rifle is capable of shooting to the same place. Plans will be made to aquire a new scope for this rifle . Perhaps one with more magnification, something above 10X would be nice, but time will tell.