Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GUNS & AMMO > RELOADING

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

For those interested in 8x56R Steyrs
Old 12-12-2005, 12:56 PM
Administrator

gitano is on a distinguished road
Default For those interested in 8x56R Steyrs

Of late, HB and I have been trying to get our hands on 8x56R brass, and getting pretty frustrated in the process. For a while we have been getting what appeared to be strange denials about who the manufacturer is, and who's doing what.

Graf and Sons http://www.grafs.com/metallic/798 has been the "supplier", but their catalog said they were getting the brass from Hornady. Calls and emails to Hornady had them denying any brass manufacturing for Graf. Buffalo Arms, http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,3861.htm that also sells the brass, lists it as Item #Horn856R. Sounds like Hornady to me. Graf's catalog says their brass for obsolete cartridges is made by Hornady. Turns out what they MEANT to say was that their 8x56R AMMO is made by Hornady. In a phoncon, Graf wouldn't say who the manufacturer was "Because we're under contract not to identfy them." But they were willing to say that the manufacturer is "European". That of course means Prvi Partizan. So... finally we know who the manufacturer is. The bad news is of course that being European, there's no way to "pressure" them into making more brass faster. In addition, according to Graf, the importation issues are bolluxed up every time the goods physically change hands.

So... I intend to order at least 250 cases that are scheduled to be into Graf "the end of January". Based on previous posts, there were a few other fellas here at THL that were interested in a bulk purchase. If you're interested, let me know. No obligations necessary at this time, I'm just interested in what size order we might be able/willing to make. If the order exceeds 1000 pieces, the savings per case is $0.03. ($28.99/100 vs $260.91/1000 - 137.70/500) Grafs will pay freight for those of you not in Alaska. (Buffalo Arms sells them for $29/100 with no quantity discounts and you pay freight. Since they get theirs from Graf, that's no surprise.) This might be a good time to order brass for some of the other hard-to-find stuff like 7.5x55 Schmidt Rubin and 7.62x54R Russian as well as Hornady's .329" 205 grain bullets. On that note, Buffalo Arms has 150, 175, 200, 205, and 220s in .329". Go here http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cf...atid=92&step=2 to look at prices.

Lemme know, and we'll get something going. Also, for those interested in reloading the Berdan-primed milsurp brass, send me a private message, and I'll relate what I've been doing lately in that endeavor.

Paul

Tags
8x56 steyr, brass, reloading