Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GUNS & AMMO > FIREARMS & OPTICS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

A new project in the works!
Old 08-01-2014, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

sakorick is on a distinguished road
Default A new project in the works!

This is a rather happy ending to a bad situation. About 5 years ago I purchased a M 96 Swedish Mauser that had been sporterized by Kimber back in the 50's, at the Kansas City Cabelas for $225. The project was to fix the old girl up and change things around a bit. Soooooo, I decided to build a 6.5-57 Ackley. I even went so far as purchasing the dies from CH4D(one of my favorite American companies by the way). The dies were 80 bucks and things were going nicely. I sent the barreled action out to Mark Skaggs in Oregon(still the best most reasonable gunsmith in the country) who happen to have a 6.5-57 Ackley reamer. When the gun got back I polished it and took it down to Bill to have it semi inletted and blued. Then I kind of forgot about it and a year passed. I called Bill, and he said he would jump right on it.....then he dropped dead. I got in touch with his estranged wife who said her son, the drug dealer, had sold all the guns Bill was working on. So I printed a wanted poster and distributed them all over N Missouri down to KC and Springfield. Last week, the owner of Competitive Edge Shooting called me from just North of KC and said, "I believe I have a rifle that belongs to you and a stock". I grabbed my license, pictures of the gun and SN and dashed to CE. In 10 minutes I walked out with my rifle and stock minus the trigger guard and bolt parts. So it looks like I am back in the game.....shoot, I was getting bored anyway. Here is a picture of what I got back.....the Timney trigger was an extra I had and I had extra bolt parts to get it functional. I have a lot of polishing to do!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m96.jpg (187.9 KB, 29 views)