Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GUNS & AMMO > MAKING STUFF

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Green River Knives
Old 03-22-2008, 09:41 PM
Moderator at Large

RatherBHuntin is on a distinguished road
Default Green River Knives

I've had this idea for a matching set of knives for my brothers and I for a long time now, and had intended to have them done for last Christmas, but the best laid plans of mice and men....A generous member of THL from up north sent me a caribou antler beam to fabricate the handles from and I ordered some Russel - Green River Works blades from Track of the Wolf. What I wanted was to have knives that were close, but not exactly the same, like my brothers and I, so the different blades but handles from the same antler worked out great (though harder than I thought). The sheaths were made from the same single shoulder of cowhide that I've been working with for a month now. As you can see there is still plenty left for that magazine pouch I need, and my brother placed an order for a speedloader pouch.

The antler was really hard, and not having the right tools made it even harder. I really needed a band saw to get the scales off the beam in the correct proportions. I had to use a vice and a SawsAll, which just isn't the best way. So, after mangling the antler, I had to borrow a belt sander to straighten them out and get somewhat flat pieces for what I wanted. Some epoxy helped to fill out the small variations that were left. I still have to put the brass pins in the handles. One of the knives will get cutler's rivets, though I decided after looking at it that I didn't want those big rivets in the others, they just don't compliment the knives. I haven't decided whether to polish the handles to an ivory finish or leave them with the patina on them. I liked them both ways, your opinions are welcomed. I really could have used a bench grinder and a band saw.

The leather I had a much better time with. For starters, I bought the right tools, which I'm sure everyone will agree always makes the difference. Those tools are much cheaper than power tools. I looked through some catalogues for examples and went with my own design on one (which didn't turn out as well as I intended). I think I learned something new with each one. For instance, with carpentry you measure twice cut once, with leather it seems you measure once add a half inch then another half inch for good measure, then cut and trim later. Glue works great for holding pieces together while you sew it. Dies can and should be mixed and matched to get the color you want, no need to settle with what comes out of the bottle. A SHARP razor blade makes it easy to get it just right and looks much better afterwards. I can do a sheath pretty quick now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2059small.JPG (68.5 KB, 80 views)

"Politics is supposed to be the world's second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Tags
holster, leather, sheath, knife