Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GUNS & AMMO > FIREARMS & OPTICS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

New Scope
Old 12-20-2008, 09:58 PM
Senior Family Member

Paul Hoskins is on a distinguished road
Smile New Scope

Bought a new scope today but have no idea about the quality. The junk that comes with it only says DKG Trading Inc. ....Evansville, Ill. The box says FM Optics. ??? ..........It is a neat little scope about 8 1/2 inches long and supposedly is 3-9 power with lighted Mil dot reticle. It has Weaver type rails on all four sides. Mount is included. .........I was checking it out and it defnitely isn't 3-9 power but still nice. On the 3 power setting it is obviously one X and at 9 power it appears to be about six X magnification. Possibly 7X. I was impressed with the lighted reticle. I think it has five or six diffrent brightness settings but the first one is plenty bright enough. At the higher settings the crosshairs become too bright and blurry. If it will hold together under recoil, it should be ideal for bear hunting in Maine where you're in dark timber and the bear come in late anyway. The color of the lighted reticle is what I would call indigo blue. I didn't think it would be a very good color for a reticle but I was wrong. It's an excellent color no matter what you're shooting at in the woods with the possible exception of the seat of someones jeans. Another thing that impressed me was the eye relief. At 3X it has about six or seven inches of useful eye relief. On 9X it is still around 4 inches. To my thinking the mil dots are about as useless as a milk bucket under a bull. Does anyone else on the forum know anything about these scopes? ..........Paul H
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 012.JPG (66.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 013.JPG (59.7 KB, 17 views)