Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GENERAL INTEREST FORUMS > THE CAMPFIRE

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

I Just Like to Grow Things
Old 12-03-2018, 07:01 PM
Administrator

gitano is on a distinguished road
Default I Just Like to Grow Things

I don't think I would have been a particularly great farmer or rancher. However, my heart has always had a yearning to GROW things. I've raised A LOT of different kinds of animals and plants. One of my great disappointments with living in The Great White North is not being able to grow things! I spat into that Great White North wind for decades. Now, I find myself resigned to at least trying to be "practical" about what I try to grow. Nevertheless, I find it very difficult to go against my natural desires. To that end, I have spit once more into the wind by planting two 'tropical' plants:

Turmeric and Ginger

Wikipedia says of turmeric:
"The plant is rhizomatous, herbaceous, and perennial, and is native to the Indian subcontinent and Southeast Asia, and requires temperatures between 20 and 30 C (68 and 86 F) and a considerable amount of annual rainfall to thrive.",

and

"Ginger is in the family Zingiberaceae, to which also belong turmeric (Curcuma longa), cardamom (Elettaria cardamomum), and galangal. Ginger originated in the tropical rainforests from the Indian subcontinent to Southern Asia..."

Both of these rhizomatous plants are readily available at your local grocery store. Just as important as local availability is ease of growing right from what you buy at the grocery store! About 3 weeks ago I bought a tiny piece of turmeric rhizome and a tiny piece of ginger rhizome and planted them in a relatively small pot (8"diameter). Since germinating plants don't need light, I set the pot on the boiler in my basement. About 5 or 6 days ago, the first shoots came up! I'm not sure which one it is (turmeric or ginger), but I think these first two are ginger.

As you likely know, this is the coldest, darkest time of the year up here in Alaska. One might think this was not the best time to start plants. Especially plants not adapted to this climate. I can't argue with that logic, however... from what I read and see on Youtube, one can plant both turmeric and ginger in the spring and harvest significant production that same fall. I can't start these two species outside in the spring up here, so I am growing them in pots, (in which they do well I am told). Therefore, by starting them now, and 'struggling' through the 'dark days' until about late February, (when the day length starts to grow rapidly), I should get a jump on the spring growth, which in turn should give me a longer growing season than if I started them in the spring when the risk of frost was past. At least that's my logic.

The attached image is of the ginger/turmeric shoots.

Paul

PS - By the way... I have started two fig trees in pots too. I love figs! I'm hoping to get figs within two years.

Paul

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Turmeric_ginger shoots -1s.jpg (133.1 KB, 21 views)
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. John 8:32

"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~ C.S. Lewis.

Do not confuse technical skill for wisdom and do not confuse strength for skill. Paul Skvorc

Last edited by gitano; 12-04-2018 at 02:00 PM..