Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GUNS & AMMO > BLACKPOWDER/MUZZLELOADERS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Starting out shooting muzzleloaders
Old 02-19-2012, 06:31 PM
Senior Family Member

Jorge in Oz is on a distinguished road
Default Starting out shooting muzzleloaders

Hi Guys,

I have just been bitten by the blackpowder bug and I'm searching for a first rifle. I have found two I'm interested in one is a Pedersoli 32 cal squirrel rifle with a 40 inch barrel and all the bits and bobs thrown in and the other is a 45 cal Uberti Hawken. Both are percussion ignition which I prefer.

Now they talk about patched ball, what do you use to patch the balls with and exactly what does it mean. Do you wrap the ball in a patch and then load it into the barrel? Please someone explain it to me. Also do you need to lube the balls at all or do you lube the patch.

I want to enter into the shooting comps (after some serious practice first) cause I'd like to get dressed up like Danile Boone and shoot some smoke poles for fun (watched Patriot and Last of the Mohicans too many times). So my question is should I get a 50, 54 or 58 cal instead if that is my intention to compete or start with the smaller cals?

Also what equipment will I need apart from the gunpowder, powder horn and measurer, barrel cleaner, and moulds for roundballs and minis. Also what lead works best eg wheel weights or lead from roofing or pipes? can I buy the balls already cast?

I won't have much time for deer hunting or loading for a while as our baby girl is due anytime now, so I thought I might get into this side of shooting. Also I was looking at the 32 cal squirrel rifle for shooting rabbits as there are some patches close to home that I could frequent without being too far away.

Ebay has a good collection of buckskins also. My wife reckons I just want to get dressed up with a racoon hat and the blackpowder thing is just an excuse. She's not wrong there.

Your thoughts please gentlemen.

Cheers

Jorge

“The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity.” ― Leonard Ravenhill

Tags
blackpowder, muzzleloader