Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GENERAL INTEREST FORUMS > THE CAMPFIRE

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Re: My big trip
Old 05-17-2018, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

sakorick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My big trip

Leg two goes from the Sierra Plant down US65 6 miles South of Warsaw to the Macon Gunworks. The plan was to see how much it would cost for them to inlet, complete sanding, install tips and checker. I met Brian and Sherri Macon in the shop. Brian's Grandfather was the first person Mr Bishop hired back in the 40's in his fledgling stock business. Mr Fajen was the second. Brian's dad followed in his dad's footsteps and was hired at the age of 14. The in the early 60's Fajen split from Bishop to form his own stock making company. This led to the end of both companies sometime in the 70's. However, Brian's Dad purchased the two Walnut groves they owned in California and Missouri and much of the equipment from Bishop who had retired. Brian went to work in the Macon Gunworks at the age of 14 and took over when his father died. After a wonderful tour, we sat down and went over what I wanted. Sherri wrote everything down in great detail. I wanted the rifle on a hybred Sako/Weatherby cross with Win Mod 70 four panel standard checkering, A 1 inch decelerator pad, 14 in LOP, Pillar bedded and floated ready for final finish.....my job. After we had reviewed the bidding, Brian said $450 for the work. He will do all the inletting and his son does the checkering. I paid $225 down and owe $225 at the end of the day. We picked my Zebra Ebony for the tips. So far the trip is working as planned. On to leg 3 later.