Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GUNS & AMMO > FIREARMS & OPTICS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

I've got a new shooter going!
Old 12-03-2005, 04:59 PM
Senior Family Member

Gmoney is on a distinguished road
Default I've got a new shooter going!

I've turned my good buddy from a city guy to a dove shooting, varmint hutning, and now deer slayer....he purchased his first firearms last year, a shotgun, that he hunted with this past year.....now he wants to take a deer. I said he could borrow or choose from the guns we have at the house but he wants to shoot a deer on our place with HIS rifle....YES! I say........

He's getting it for Christmas and he's trying to find a good bolt action for under 350 bucks....he doesn't want an H&R....he wants a bolt, not a single...he went to the "pros" at Academy and they filled him so full of it, he had to buy chest waders on the way out.........

He came home and was convinced that the smaller caliber you needed was a 7MAG and that bigger is better and is the only way to kill....I started cracking up and then recorrected his help by the "pros"....

He wants an all around gun for deer as well as something to shoot some varmints with....he wants to shoot a fox someday, for some reason......I've told him to lean towards a .243, .2506, or of course a .260.....I think these calibers will serve him well as an all-purpose rifle for a beginning centerfire shooter...hopefully these will also leave out the flinch factor...

So, I have covered all the bases on what manufacturer for him to look at and such...but just wanted ya'lls opinion on a gun maker for under 350....any suggestions so I can make sure I didn't miss and to see if anyone has fieldtested any models for this price....thanks ya'll....G

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.