Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GUNS & AMMO > FIREARMS & OPTICS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Ruger Single Sixers
Old 05-19-2005, 04:19 AM
Senior Family Member

Kanibal is on a distinguished road
Default Ruger Single Sixers

I was wondering what you all think of the below pistols? I am looking at picking one of these up but cannot make up my mind due to a lack of knowledge about these pistols. Does barrel length matter between all of these pistols? I would rather a 7.5 inch barrel but would a 5.5 inch barrel lose very much over the 7.5 inch? Also what about the different styles of sites? I think I would be more comfortable with the more modern sights instead of the Vaquero blade style sights but is the blade sight more for cowboy action or would it be as useful for hunting?

These are also all 44 mags and will be used strictly as a hunting/protection/backup sidearm and not as my main lead tosser. Just looking for a nice fun pistol that will serve as a good hunting tool in a pinch.

They are in the order in which I prefer them and I really do like the classic bluing better than the stainless.

1. The first is the New Super Black hawk with a 5.5 inch barrel and it also comes in a 7.5 inch barrel which I may prefer over the shorter of the two.

2. Next is more of a cowboy style Vaquero pistol whith a front blade style sight of which I am not at all familiar with.

3. Next is the Super Blackhawk Hunter which a friend of mine has and it is a very fine pistol but I think I like the classic lookers better.

4. Last is the same Blackhawk Hunter but with a Bisley grip and hammer. It is a much different look of which I am somewhat nuetral on, but a very fine pistol none the less. Not much experience with the Bisley style.

So what do all of you cowboys out there think of these pistols?
Attached Images
File Type: gif Ruger SBlk 5.5.gif (25.4 KB, 220 views)
File Type: gif Ruger Vaq.gif (17.3 KB, 226 views)
File Type: gif Ruger Hunter.gif (19.2 KB, 216 views)
File Type: gif Ruger Bisley.gif (38.2 KB, 209 views)

Last edited by Kanibal; 05-19-2005 at 04:29 AM..