Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GUNS & AMMO > FIREARMS & OPTICS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

A Sad Story With A Hopefully Happy Ending
Old 10-11-2010, 10:31 AM
Administrator

gitano is on a distinguished road
Default A Sad Story With A Hopefully Happy Ending

Some of you may remember the Collath drilling and the work I (and others here at THL) put into getting it field-ready. It was a gift from my Dad, I went on the last hunt my Dad and I got to go on together using that arm to take a pig in central California.

On September 11, my fishing buddy and I decided to do a 3-day-2-night float trip on the Susitna River. I took the Collath along to shoot ducks and a moose if we saw a legal one. The short story is that we capsized and I lost A LOT of 'stuff'. All of the stuff I lost was replaceable except for two items - yes... one was the Collath. The other was the knife RatherBHuntin made for me.

I lost some camping stuff that I'd had for a long time, some of it 35 years. Still, that stuff was replaceable. The Collath and the knife are not. However...

I just closed the deal on this item:

Here's the description.
Quote:
This ad features the pictured G. F. Stormer Antique Drilling with 16 Gauge Shotgun Barrels and a 10 Millimeter Rifle Barrel. This gun appears to be in all original condition with Outstanding engraving on the receiver and lock plates. The gun is tight but I advise against shooting it as the 26 and 3/4 inch Damascus barrels are pitted on the inside. The buttstock has 3 pins in the right side, these are small and most likely can be removed. I have no idea of why they are there. This a small dent in the right barrel about 6 inches back from the muzzle. The length of pull measures 13 inches. This is very nice older gun that borders on the edge of pure artwork. A close look at the pictures will show you all the details.
Have a look at it. I like it. It's listed as a "10 mm". We'll see what it really is when I get it in my hands. That should be late this week. I'll cast the chamber, and based on what I find, I'll probably have to get drinksgin on some sort of "solution" to find a cartridge I can use.

I'll keep you posted.

Paul
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. John 8:32

"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~ C.S. Lewis.

Do not confuse technical skill for wisdom and do not confuse strength for skill. Paul Skvorc

Last edited by gitano; 10-20-2010 at 10:38 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Tags
11.2 mm, 16 ga, 16 gauge, bullet trap, damascus, drilling, engraving, gf stormer, hammer gun