Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GENERAL INTEREST FORUMS > THE CAMPFIRE

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

"Wild" Turkeys?
Old 03-06-2010, 03:10 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Daryl (deceased) will become famous soon enoughDaryl (deceased) will become famous soon enough
Default "Wild" Turkeys?

I got a call from my mother yesterday at about 5:00 PM. She was out feeding her turkeys when 6 "other" turkeys showed up.

She described them, and said that they didn't look like any turkeys she'd ever seen before. She said they were "thinner" than her's, and looked tall, even though they were smaller birds. Speckled wings, shiney bronze feathers in places, and so forth...

Hmm...sounds like a Goulds turkey, methinks?

so I called a game-warden friend of mine, and asked him about it. Evidently the Az G&F Dept released some Goulds turkeys about 30 miles north of here on the Babocamori River, and also in the Huachuca Mtns. Since then, they've showed up in some strange places. The main street of Sierra Vista, in Tombstone, and so forth. None so far south yet though.

So I took a drive, took some pictuires, and "text'd" one to Brad. Sure 'nuff, they're Goulds.

Those familiar with Turkeys are familiar with the Eastern, the Oceola, the Rio Grande, and the Merriams. A lot of turkey hunters who want a true "grand slam" of turkeys travel to Mexico for these, since they no longer existed here in the US in huntable numbers (or at all, perhaps). They were once native to this area. They still aren't legally hunted here, but perhaps one day there'll be enough of them, and wild enough to allow hunting them again.

Anyway, for those interested, here's a few pictures. They aren't very wild, but seem to be surviving ok thus far. They don't mind traveling a bit, evidently.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Goulds2.JPG (69.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Goulds3.JPG (70.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Goulds7.JPG (77.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Goulds6.JPG (77.4 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Daryl (deceased); 03-06-2010 at 03:17 PM..