Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GENERAL INTEREST FORUMS > THE CAMPFIRE

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Ritamath
Old 09-24-2005, 06:37 PM
Senior Family Member

drinksgin (deceased) is on a distinguished road
Default Ritamath

We are back, the winds hit about 2am, we lost power at 6:30am, had sustained winds I would guess at 60+, gusts to at least 80, by 10:30 am it started to drop of and by 4pm we saw the sun, also when the power came back on.
Lots of thumb size and smaller limbs down, tons of leaves and 2.5" rain, so far.
No damage to property.
We were about 75 miles west of the center, just on the edge of the wind wall, but being inland about 125 miles Rita had slowed quite a bit, even when it hit the coast, it was only at 120, +-.
Our problems now are minor, the people from Houston and Galveston bought every drop of gas, water, canned meat, bread ,eggs and milk in town, now just have to wait for a restock.
My 25 pounds of sausage is down to about 15lbs, thanks to some help from my sister and her crew, but the rest is safe in the freezer, had breakfast , one lunch and then a supper of sausage, beans and rice out of it, was glad I had something to fix quick.
I intend to order a small generator tomorrow, at least enough for refrigerator, freezer and some lights and fans.
We have had several outages here, just one spring storm had us out 16 hours.
The tall trees did the job, the winds went over us, a friend on a bald hill lost their roof and they are 20 miles west of us.
Till next time, Don