Go Back   The Hunter's Life > THE WELL ROUNDED HUNTER > THE NEED FOR SPEED

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Cafe Racer!
Old 12-24-2015, 10:59 AM
Senior Family Member

Nelsdou is on a distinguished road
Default Cafe Racer!

I became fascinated with the number of 80's vintage Japanese motorcycles that are available for cheap and the performance opportunities in stripping these bikes down, tinkering, etc., aka, Cafe Racer. Essentially, there are no "rules"; anything goes. Most of the Japanese bikes of this era have little collectible value, at least to me anyway, so let the fun begin!

'82 Yamaha 750 Virago, a cruiser bike made to compete in the Harley-chopper market. A heavy shaft driven affair, two valve heads, ergonomically terrible handlebars. Torquey V-Twin, marginal brakes.

When I glass bead blasted the heads and tank, I found the tank had grinding marks and a couple of dings but I was not ready to paint. In that condition the tank is subject to flash rusting so I cold-blued it until such time I could get on with painting. Surprisingly, the Japanese steel does not take easily to cold blue so over the course of repeat applications I ended up with a random mottled finish of black/blue/gray that turned out rather interesting. Finished it with a light wiping of of oil and it is good to go.

After stripping off a bunch of unnecessary parts (and weight) I modified quite a few components but the engine is basically unchanged except for new rings, cams, relapped the valves, and replaced the original carbs to Mikuni's. I was shocked to find the original cylinder bores miked to be within original factory specs on the rebuild so I simply re-honed the bores for the new rings.

The bike is back into pieces as I am powdercoating the various parts but attached are some photos when I last had it up and running.

Merry Christmas - Everyone!