Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GUNS & AMMO > RELOADING

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

help with new shotgun shells
Old 02-10-2007, 06:42 PM
Senior Family Member

babbyc1000 is on a distinguished road
Default help with new shotgun shells

hi all, just wanted to ask if anyone has ever used 12 bore shells loaded with BB's much?

i went to the gunshop today, got a brick of .22's and asked the guy for 2 boxes of shells that would take down a dog that was attacking sheep, especially a big dog like a rottweiler (i have two of them, im not trying to show them off or anything but theyre one of the toughest breeds ive come across, so i figured if it could take one of them down i shouldnt have any problems with other breeds).

well the guy gave me 2 boxes of lyalvale express max game, theyre 70mm and the shot weight is 36 grams. the thing is im used to using shells for hunting rabbits and birds, etc. ive always used the number system with shells, so hence i have an idea of the spread, penetration, etc, just by looking at the number. the lowest ive used so far is a no 4. theres no number on these shells though, just says BB on them.

the big problem is i cant test them out at the minute, i left the s/s into the shop to get re-blued and ive only got the AYA single now. im not sure if it would be up to this type of shell so i dont want to use them in it, however i wont have the rifle for another few days at least so if anything happens in the meantime ill have no choice but to use the AYA (i feel naked having only one gun!!).

so can anyone out there can help, and give me an idea of what way these shells might act, penetration, etc? thanks!