Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GUNS & AMMO > FIREARMS & OPTICS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Weatherby Mark V......Shocked!!!
Old 09-11-2005, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

sakorick is on a distinguished road
Default Weatherby Mark V......Shocked!!!

One of the local guys asked me to load some 300 Wby Mag shells for his Mark V as he was unhappy with the groups he was getting with factory Remington ammo. I told him I would need his rifle and he brought it over with a 2 boxes of Remington 180 grainers. The first thing I did was check to OAL.....SHOCK....eyes roll!!! The throat is the longest that I have ever seen on any rifle. Just to get the 180 grain Pro Hunters to fit the clip took 200 thousandths to the lands. The factory ammo must be jumping 1/4 inch into the lands and groves! I realize Weatherby has always been speed happy but this is almost ludicrous. I did manage to get some decent groups....1 1/2 inch with decent speed but it sure seems like a waste of IMR4350 to get little more than an '06 developes.....250'/sec! Luckly for me it had a factory brake so the kick wasn't bad. I also used ear plugs and my electronic ear muffs....what a monster. Question to the cybernetic domain.....Am I missing something here???? Regards, Rick.