Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GENERAL INTEREST FORUMS > THE CAMPFIRE

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

My Victory over Acid Reflux
Old 04-30-2011, 11:40 PM
Senior Family Member

Nelsdou is on a distinguished road
Default My Victory over Acid Reflux

For anybody suffering from this, consider my experience and see if it helps.

A while back I had acid reflux so bad I was constantly chewing roll-aids and couldn't sleep flat at night; eventually had to go to acid-reducer meds like you see advertised to get on top of it.

Then the wife convinced me to go in with her to do the South Beach diet to shed a few pounds. Now I'm not a diet fad kinda of guy but the "eat unlimited meat" part of it sounded intriguing.

So I went cold-turkey on the no sugar, no carbos, just meat and cheese for however long it was, then started in cycling in veggies and then some limited breads. It worked over a course of a number of weeks that I did lose some weight and my desire for sugar and carbohydrates greatly diminshed. So much in fact that now I can't stand the taste of some candies and high sugar foods.

So while getting through this phase of diet "re-adustment", I realized my acid reflux was gone. Dropped the meds completely and its still gone.

The only things that bring back a touch of reflux is drinking more than a glass of wine, gorging on pizza or eating a lot of potatoes. So as long as I limit the sugars and carbos, my esophagus is happy.

Nels