Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GUNS & AMMO > RELOADING

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

45-70 re-sized to 40-65
Old 01-30-2006, 02:38 PM
Senior Family Member

Smokepole is on a distinguished road
Question 45-70 re-sized to 40-65

Before this gets too deep let me first say that I used to re-load a lot of shotgun shells (shooting ATA trap and Registered Skeet) before I found a whole new world in blackpowder muzzle loaders.

But I have always wanted a Sharps in 40-65, and I found one I felt I could afford a while back. I've been shooting the reloads (smokeless powder) that the previous owner supplied for me.

Now I'm about to jump into the adventure of reloading with blackpowder not the smokeless. But my main question has to do with re-sizing the brass. I do know from reloading shotgun shells that if you use a linear forming die, forcing the brass into a "re-sizing tube" that the side walls at the base tend to get larger. Larger to the point that a nice fit is difficult. So I switched to the collet forming die set. This will resize the entire brass base without causing any problems with headspace in the chamber.

When re-sizing 45-70 brass to 40-65 it appears the same thing could happen. I know that the brass will need to be trimmed to length at the mouth of the case, but what happens to the head spacing? Does the rim/ridge area get larger and cause problems after numerous re-loads or do you do something at the base of the brass to accommodate this problem?

Sincerely,
Smokepole