Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GENERAL INTEREST FORUMS > THE CAMPFIRE

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Philosophical ponderings
Old 09-01-2008, 11:49 PM
Senior Family Member

LvrLover is on a distinguished road
Default Philosophical ponderings

I was listening to a book on CD with my kids today. It was called The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis. The last book in his Narnia series. Anyway the reason I'm posting is a line one of the characters had that got me very philosophical. I believe it was something like this," No man is so poor that he cannot buy a noble death." Why is it no one talks like this anymore? We (as a society) have all become so afraid of death that we will do, or not do, anything we can to keep our skins. We have forgotten our pioneering heritage of men and women who risked all for the benefit of their children, fully knowing they would be dead before they reaped all the harvest of their work. I remember reading a book on Stonewall Jackson when I was in school. The reason he was called "Stonewall" was he would sit out in the open in a battle and not even try to take cover. He believed that his life was in God's hands and nothing he could do would prolong his life if God called him home. Oh, to be that trusting and have that much faith. We have forgotten Christ's words,"Greater love hath no man than this, than he lay down his life for his friend." My friends, and that is how I think of a lot of you here, have we forgotten there are things much worse than death?