Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GUNS & AMMO > FIREARMS & OPTICS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Fixed Win Model 70
Old 02-19-2006, 07:20 PM
Moderator at Large

RatherBHuntin is on a distinguished road
Default Fixed Win Model 70

I've modified my deer rifle somewhat. I had a Win Model 70 chambered in .270 that is my primary deer rifle, and I just wasn't that happy with it. It was too long, accuracy is minute of deer, and that's about it, and well good enough for it's purpose. I had a prime Simmons 8-Point 3-9x40 on it, that was a little less than desirable, to say the least. The black synthetic stock is as least equally as ugly as the Savage 110 black stock.

I ordered a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x50, had 2.5 inches taken off the barrell and a target crown put on and painted the stock with some brown, flat black, o.d. green and a satin clear coat. The bbl was 24" and seemed just to long. The scope has the Firefly reticle and rain guard. I used a stencil from the hobby shop for the leaves and twigs. I think it is just a touch too dark, should have used more green and brown. One more thing I may do is replace the soft rubber butt pad with something a little thinner and slicker. A half inch off the stock would help the LOP and a butt plate would let me mount the rifle much smoother without it grabbing my jacket. Still, now it's a one of a kind, fits me much better, will let me judge animals better later, has a much clearer scope and hopefull will be just a touch more accurate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (39.3 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (39.1 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (37.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (40.4 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (68.8 KB, 73 views)

"Politics is supposed to be the world's second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Last edited by RatherBHuntin; 02-19-2006 at 07:27 PM..