Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GENERAL INTEREST FORUMS > THE CAMPFIRE

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

This years gardening effort
Old 07-17-2020, 07:38 PM
Senior Family Member

Paul Hoskins is on a distinguished road
Default This years gardening effort

Been a miserable year for gardening in my area this year. Cold, wet & just plain miserable weather till the middle of May. Around Mothers Day things improved a bit. Wired the new Cherokee tiller to the Kubota & tilled the garden. Waited a week or so & tilled it again. The older fellow we usually buy garden plants from had stroke back in December & his son took over the green houses. He obviously didn't do te job his dad did but we bought plants anyway. Bought 6 jalapino pepper plants. All he had left. Half of them have died. Bought 4 dozen tomato plants. Four or five of them have died. A dozen cabbage plants. Three or four of them have died/ We have 4 hills of zuchinni. Two 25 yard long rows of corn, Ditto for beans. Put electric wires around the beans to keep infernal rabbits out. They jump the electric wires anyway.

Everything came up good but the weather turned hot & dry with temp's in the 90's. Growth stalled but we finally got a good rain & things took off. Now it has turned hot & dry again. We've picked a few ripe tomatoes & zuchinni, The turnips are big enough now to pick & can greens. There;s small beans coming on 7 the corn is tasseling out & silks coming on. They're doing their botanical **** thing as Gitano calls it. The corn is only about head high. Pitiful looking stuff in spite of fertilizer & tender loving care. I suspect coons will be checking it out soon. Killed two recently. Tried shooting rabbits with rifle & shotgun but without results. Can no longer see to shoot either effectively. Can't even see to take very good pictures either. Finall sorted out my problem loading pictures into the computer. Just can't see to adjust them very well either. Microsoft & windows 10 made changes to the way pictures are loaded into the puter but it sucks. Microsoft, Google & windows 10 are the pits. No consideration or respect for the elderly or handicapped whatsoever.

I'll try to attach pictures of the garden taken in late June and a couple days ago after I got my picture problem solved. I HOPE. Sorry about the quality but it's about the best I can see to do. The first 5 pictures were made in late June. The rest a couple days ago. .......Paul H .....ps......The 6th picture is the lower side of the garden taken yesterday. Those tomatom plants were set out by my little neighbor lady. She's a tiny sweetheart. I still have a strip 25 yards long & 13 feet wide for turnips next month below her tomatoes. .....PH....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4493.JPG (194.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4494.JPG (205.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4495.JPG (188.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4496.JPG (227.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4497.JPG (190.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4517.JPG (175.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4518.JPG (182.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4520.JPG (177.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4521.JPG (169.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4522.JPG (192.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4523.JPG (211.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4525.JPG (183.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4526.JPG (167.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4527.JPG (188.5 KB, 2 views)