Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GUNS & AMMO > BLACKPOWDER/MUZZLELOADERS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Newbie with CVA Bobcat - and/or TC Renegade
Old 06-05-2006, 05:07 PM
flyer

Default Newbie with CVA Bobcat - and/or TC Renegade

Howdy folks,
I am a complete newbie to BP and I just bought a used Bobcat off the internet. It was cheap, and I just felt the urge to try something new.

I have been around hunting and firearms for almost 50 years, but other than an afternoon playing with a friend's flintlock about 30 years ago, and an impulse buy of a flintlock pistol, and Remington cap and ball (kit guns) about 20 yrs ago, I have not had much experience with BP.

I haven't even seen the Bobcat yet because it has not been shipped by the seller yet. In the meantime, I have found a couple of TC Renegades that look interesting, and I am resisting (with some struggle) a desire to buy one of them as well.

Even though I don't have a clue about what I am doing in the muzzeloading world at this point I feel the urge to acquire more!

Anyway, for now I would appreciate opinions/suggestion on the questions below:

1) One of the TC's has a single and the other is a double; is there any advantage to a double trigger over a single trigger.

2) What is a reasonable price for a decent Renegade? One of them can be had for $150 (single trigger) the other (double trigger, but not as good condition) for $100.

3) What would be 'must have' accessories (other than powder/ball/caps) for a newbie BP shooter? I don't plan to do anything other than shoot at the moment. Might get into matches or other events later, and a good likelihood I'll want to go BP hunting in the fall, but in the short term, just want to play with a muzzle loader.

4) Anything else you experienced BP shooters care to provide in the way of information, publications or websites would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Cheers
Kerry

Tags
blackpowder, possibles