Go Back   The Hunter's Life > HUNTING FORUMS > TRAPPING

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Finally!!!!!!!
Old 02-06-2014, 06:12 PM
Moderator at Large

davidlt89 has disabled reputation
Default Finally!!!!!!!

I have been on my friends pond for 8 weeks now and until today I had caught nothing but a muskrat. Most of the beaver here are relocated and they are weary of traps to say the least. they will have nothing to do with a 330 or foothold so far this year. So I built a popal snare and put 4 snares on it and put it in friday. I also had to move one of my 330's and frame because they built a wall of sticks behind it and it would not of been able to close. So I moved it right beside the food!!!

First off I had to chip 5 holes with the chisel and that just about killed me! I had already walked a half mile to a pond I set on monday to check a trap and back. I got all the holes chipped and the glasses were pretty well fogged so I had to put them on the packbasket.

I then went around with the spoon and cleaned them all up, then started checking. I checked my first snare which had two snares and nothing, so I pulled it because they had the pole all chewed up. I then looked at the foothold and it was empty. I then went over to my "quad snare" and I could not see any of the snares but could see a beaver down in the water. So I got to chipping a hole big enough to get him out, not a bad beaver.

So I then went over to the trap I put beside the cache, this trap has been there for two weeks. I got down and looked and could tell the trap had been set off because I seen the spring was open, but that was about as much as I could make out without glasses. I then got a bigger hole cleared out to get the frame out. This my friends took a lot of work with the chisel, it had been frozen in for two weeks. when you check them you get lazy and make a hole big enough to see through and the rest freezes in pretty good.

I got more ice cleared away and cleared the hole with the spoon and what was in the trap looked really thin. I had a good feeling but wanted to get the trap out of the water to make sure. once I got out, my suspicions were confirmed, an otter.

I was an hour and half messing around to get these animals out and back to the truck, but I am a happy camper!!!! here is a pic of them together.

Great day on the line God Bless.

2 Donít copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know Godís will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.