Go Back   The Hunter's Life > HUNTING FORUMS > SMALL GAME > VARMINT/PREDATOR

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Good Therapy!!!
Old 04-28-2011, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

recoil junky is on a distinguished road
Default Good Therapy!!!

It was so nice today that I decided to go shoot some ground squirrels!!!

Here's the killing field. Well one of them. Most of my shots were from 100-200 yards with a few out to close to 300.

I only took two rifles, the 788 in .222 and the "new" 788 in .223. Total rounds for the day were in the neighborhood of 250-275, total kills, probably close to 225. The wind was really starting to howl about 15:00 so shots beyond 100 yards were nearly impossible. I'm really starting to like the Simmons Whitetail 6.5-20X50 mil dot scope on the "new" 788. I see Midway has them on sale again for $124 US. I wish I had the money, I'd get a couple more.

The quarry, Richardson's ground squirrels (holeous diggous pastureous ruinous) were out in force, as were the redtail hawks. This picture isn't very good, but you can kinda tell what it's supposed to be. He was eating one of "gophers" I'd shot about 5 minutes before. He was about 150 yards out and didn't pay me the least bit of attention as I continued to shoot.

It was pretty cool to watch him dine. I didn't figure hawks ate "already dead things", but maybe he saw it die and new it was fresh. There was another hawk treating himself to one of my fresh kills, but he was too far away to even see in the view finder.

Here's a short video of me making "hawk lunch" at about 50 yards. Yeah, too close I know but I tried to get a farther shot "on film" but you couldn't really see the "gopher" or the impact.

Not the most dramatic flip of the day, but the 40 grain Vmax's do a good job of making hamburger.

I've been using 40 grain Nolsers in the "new" 788 in .223, mostly to help tell them apart from the other.223's. They don't seem to be as "explosive" as the Vmax's and I can't tell difference as far as accuracy goes.

I was going to post a picture of a dead gopher, but I was having to hard a time getting the blood cleaned up and the tongue shoved back in it's mouth. Come to think of it I was having a hard time finding all the pieces!

It was really a good day of therapy.

RJ