Go Back   The Hunter's Life > HUNTING FORUMS > SMALL GAME

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

mother nature is no "sportsman"
Old 11-26-2007, 02:49 PM

buckshot roberts is on a distinguished road
Default mother nature is no "sportsman"

(thats fer sure)
With the Ol' alarm clocks warning......... It's squirrel hunt'en time Yea-Haw... we'll just jump right out of bad and go..........ya right we'll be real slow about getting out of bad...an walk down the hall with one hand along the wall to stady us ... man it's 4 am... with one eye open we stop by the bathroom and take are multivitamin abd head to the kitchen.. yep it's going to be a two cup morning... put one cup under the coffee maker and pour whats in the pot into the other one........drink coffee while ya look for the remote.... check the weatherman...it's to be a nice sunny day around the low 40's... I never can under stand why I listen to these guys...well I'll dress in my mossey oak jeans and long sleeve t-shirt and my old army sweather and army wool jeep cap...It's funny how your pets don't get out of bed until you got the grub on... and after making a big southwestern oumelet with honey ham and cheese..all on texas toast... man this well last until noon...checking my gear... box of federal heavy field loads, water.. ect...man I'm forgetting something O' well... I got this old Savage model 775A a few weeks back I'm looking to try out today... in 12,ga with the old savage super choke system on it that was a hit about 50 years ago.. well I'm loaded up and the plan is to be in the woods before down.. that plan is going south as pull out the driveway.. yep with cows and such on the road.... it's geeting light a few miles away...
I'm hunting in one of the management areas that was a large farm at one time.

on the way in this Ol' groundhog takes it on himself to stand by the road........ if he only knew how many of his kin I've eat'en....

once I get to the parking area... it's all foot travel from here.... I scouted this area back in the late summer.. my plan is to take some of the deer trails around the old crop fields and hunt for squirrels in the hard woods.... while crossing one of the fields I come across a dead doe... we just hand black powder last week...maybe someone just didn't take the time to look for her.....

I find a trail leading in to the brush.... when hunting these old farms be very careful and look out for old fence wire....

your always hearing about hunters getting seriously hurt by trying to cross ouver fences with a shotgun in hand... it's just so easy to do this..............
after taking one of these trails for a while I come out of the brush and find these two deer rub's...

" hay" it's bow hunting only here.....but no squirrels..... I take it on around this hill side and it turns in to a group of acorn tree's.... I set up.... looking around at any movement.. whats that... a bird..... I see movement out of my right eye.... it's two fox squirrels running down a tree... but before I can get my shotgun up I've lost them in the tall brush.... after about a half hour i see nothing more and move on I find another trail and come out by this very old farm house back in all this brush...........

lets have a look see..... some hunters has used it not long ago.......................as a blind maybe

On past the house I see group of large acorns.... and find these cutting

and set up......

by this time I've lost the sun and it's getting a little dark.. I lost the one over my head but I see another on in this very large tree a few trees over from me.... move from tree to tree and as I look at this tree there is something funny about it.... we have squirrel chow'en down... I can see her run out on the branch.... now to get her to stop... I pick up two acrons an tap them against each other.... trying to sound like another squirrel eat'en.... and it works she stops to see were the other squirrel is..."BANG"...Iwalk over to get her and step back and look at this tree and see whats been troubling me about it... has been split open at one time.. by lighting?

now it's getting a little more darker... I look at my timex.. it's just around noon.... now the winds picking up also.... now I have thunder... not so good.... now lighting in the back ground........ I can here the rain coming.... I'm up out of here.... I get up into a field and look back.....

not so good.......that rains a moving..... now I'm out in an open field with thunder and lighting....(Dang" I forgot my rain gear...) I know here is on old barn at the end of this one field...

Man that thunder.... well make a man jump.... and the lighting sure lit the place up.... move over mice..... I set that thunder storm out for over 3 hours.... just setting in that dark barn.. it was kind of spook'ee... ya know.... after it's over with.... I work a few tree groves and the way back...

The rain must have run in all the squirrels... I don't see any more.....

anyone know anything about mushrooms..............
I can move around these woods and not make a sound... I ran upon these two on the other side of a field.....

and this one also..........

after crossing this field...... two does were coming out... if ya can zoom in you'll find them

they are around the two trees......

they saw me.....
also when hunting around these old home's and farms' look out for old water wells....

man they can be very deep.....

here comes the rain again..... not to self... remember to check for rain coat..... I'm going to get it this time........
another note to self remember to put lage trash bags in car... for when you don't remember first note... to keep car set from getting wet... and I get it to.... like being in a car wash......

Now when it lets up I'll drive the 25 miles home very wet.... and when I get back the suns out very funny mother nature.....

Look's like the ol' squirrels dry'en I am.... were the hair dryer.... Ron