Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GENERAL INTEREST FORUMS > THE CAMPFIRE

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Upgraded New Shooting Range
Old 08-26-2015, 05:01 PM
Administrator

gitano is on a distinguished road
Default Upgraded New Shooting Range

I've been a member, (off and on for 30 years), of a private ($20 daily fee) rifle range located about half way between The Valley and Anchorage. It's a good range, but over the years, as things do, it "changed". It has finally gotten to where I REALLY have to be motivated to go there.

Last year - for MANY reasons - the Department of Natural Resources, (NO affiliation with Fish and Game in any fashion), spent $600,000 on a "public" shooting range in The Valley. (Turns out it's only about 5 miles closer to my house that the private range is. ) It's free, and there is no range officer . The first year it was fairly Spartan: Only 4 lanes for shooting, no benches, no pavilion, and only 100 yd. This summer the State upgraded/enlarged it. (It was closed until Aug 22, thereby making it useless for most of the summer. ) It now has about 16 lanes at 100 yd, NICE benches, a pavilion over the benches, and a very nice pistol range. It's open from 1000 to 2000 daily except Wednesday when it is closed. I went yesterday to shoot the Riedl and the AR-10, but mostly to check it out. I was pleasantly surprised. Here are some pictures.

Here's the pistol range:

And here's the rifle range:

So far, so good. I expect there to be either vandalism or an injury that will require a range officer. However, until that time comes, I'll try to enjoy it.

Paul
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. John 8:32

"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~ C.S. Lewis.

Do not confuse technical skill for wisdom and do not confuse strength for skill. Paul Skvorc

Tags
krpua range, range report