Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GUNS & AMMO > RELOADING

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Re: .338-08 (Federal) and .338 Win Mag (Sauer 90) Load Workup
Old 02-29-2016, 10:07 PM
Administrator

gitano is on a distinguished road
Default Re: .338-08 (Federal) and .338 Win Mag (Sauer 90) Load Workup

The 225 Accubonds came in today.

I had an "Old Mother Hubbard" moment. (Old mother Hubbard went to the cupboard to get her doggy a bone. When she got there, the cupboard was bare and so the poor doggy had none.) I calculated loads to give the correct timing for 7 different powders, 6 of which I "have". The two I was most interested in were H4831 and Accurate 4064. I had exactly ONE charge-worth of powder left in each canister. But I had plenty of the other ones. I loaded 6 rounds each of I3031, Accurate 2495, and Reloder 17. All were spec'd to give exactly the same exit time of the bullet.

Once I had the .225 ABs in hand, I had to make a few adjustments. First was the ACTUAL bullet length vs QuickLOAD's nominal length. Second was the fact that I wasn't going to unload the cartridges that were loaded with 225 Hornadys because those are good loads. Therefore, I had to use some new brass. The new brass was all federal. The "old" brass was all Remington-Peters. The REALLY good news was that the case capacities were essentially identical once I trimmed the new brass to the same length as the old brass.

After adjusting OverAll Length for the extra length of the AB, I was a little concerned that the relationship of the the bullets to the bore - the "jump" - was going to be different. In fact, I was a little concerned that they might be too long to chamber properly. So the FIRST thing I did was chamber the first AB-bulleted cartridge that I made. It was NOT too long. Next, I got out my Stony Point (Now Hornady Lock-N-Load) cartridge/bullet measuring device. Measuring the OAL from the bore diameter of the bullet to the base of the 225 Hornady-loaded cartridges (the 'old' good load) and the same for the 225 Accubond-loaded cartridges, yielded a difference of only 0.001". No joke! I didn't think I could make the measurements on an ogive to a consistency of 0.001". In fact, I would have had "squinty eyes" if I had read where someone else did that. Skepticism aside, the point is that the ogival length of the "good, old, 225 Hornady" load was essentially identical to the ogival cartridge length of the new Accubond loads.

So... I have done just about everything I can to make the new loads as "identical" to the old, good, loads. I have six cartridge of each charge in each powder. I will shoot two three-shot groups allowing the barrel to cool completely between groups. God willin' and the creek don't rise, one of these three powders will produce good groups. I still need to get some H4831 and Accurate 4064 so I can try those powders as well.

Just thinking about it, I MAY load three more cases in each load in each powder to use to get muzzle velocities. While all the shots in the groups shot in this thread http://thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18941 had the MagnetoSpeed attached, I don't feel comfortable shooting "for precision" with the MagnetoSpeed attached. By the same token, getting good MV figures is imperative for load workup.

I'm going to try to get to the range tomorrow.

Paul
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. John 8:32

"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~ C.S. Lewis.

Do not confuse technical skill for wisdom and do not confuse strength for skill. Paul Skvorc

Tags
.338, .338 caliber, .338 federal, .338 wm, range report, sauer 90